What PP software?

mex

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
So, I have decided t un-install Lightroom only because I'm not happy with the monthly sub. Question is, what do you recommend as a replacement ?

Unless you are at the end of the 12 month contract, Adobe could charge you the balance of the contract to escape from it.

I'm well beyond 12 mths with Adobe I think.

So, I have decided t un-install Lightroom only because I'm not happy with the monthly sub. Question is, what do you recommend as a replacement ?

Any advice might be dependent on what other software you have apart from LR?

Why? Well I have switched to DxO Photolab but currently still use LR 6 for its DAM function. I also have PS v6 for any finalising as needed....................I have some others for (when needed) other unique tools.

I have never found any software to be 'an all rounder'

HTH a little perhaps ;)

PS Why uninstall LR......................I thought that when you cease subscription you only lose the "Development" module but the Library DAM still functions AOK?

I think you use Nikon, so you might want to look at Capture One - there's a free Express version for Nikon, and a special reduced price version of the full software that only processes Nikon files:

The latest version of Capture NX-D is also worth considering, and does a particularly good job of raw processing; it's my default converter for Nikon:

Affinity Photo is an excellent single image editor, but doesn't have LR-style image preview, management and batch processing, and you've just missed the half price deal:

GIMP is suprisingly good these days:

Any advice might be dependent on what other software you have apart from LR?

Why? Well I have switched to DxO Photolab but currently still use LR 6 for its DAM function. I also have PS v6 for any finalising as needed....................I have some others for (when needed) other unique tools.

I have never found any software to be 'an all rounder'

HTH a little perhaps ;)

PS Why uninstall LR......................I thought that when you cease subscription you only lose the "Development" module but the Library DAM still functions AOK?

Toys and prams...

If you're a OSX user then I recently had a email for ACDSee 60% off at $39, seems good value. It has DAM capabilities and RAW processing. Not certain if it's any good mind, and I know the Mac version has less functionality than the windows, which is considerably more expensive.

Last edited:
I think you use Nikon, so you might want to look at Capture One - there's a free Express version for Nikon, and a special reduced price version of the full software that only processes Nikon files:

The latest version of Capture NX-D is also worth considering, and does a particularly good job of raw processing; it's my default converter for Nikon:

Affinity Photo is an excellent single image editor, but doesn't have LR-style image preview, management and batch processing, and you've just missed the half price deal:

GIMP is suprisingly good these days:

I am currently using (or should I say getting my head around it) Capture, I've not used it until now.

If you're a OSX user then I recently had a email for ACDSee 60% off at $39, seems good value. It has DAM capabilities and RAW processing. Not certain if it's any good mind, and I know the Mac version has less functionality than the windows, which is considerably more expensive.

Running windows.

i gave up on LR6 and also have Affinity photo but do find Capture One for fuji express (in my case) very good,maybe try some free trials see what you gell with

Standalone version of LR ? I have version 6.14. I don't know know if there's anything newer.

If it helps, On1 Photoraw has a function that 'imports' (recreates) all your LR processing in their format for your raws when you import your images, so you can modify any edits previously made.

I've used DXO, CaptureOne, Nikon editing software, Nik suite. On1 is probably the software I'd choose if I didn't have a standalone copy of LR6.

I was in the same position a few months ago, with being fed up paying monthly and LRs handling of Fuji files as my main motivation.

I moved to Capture One for the bulk of my editing and also bought Affinty photo as a PS replacement.

There’s obviously a learning curve ( especially with Affinity photo) but I’m more than happy with the move, and Capture One in particular is a fantastic bit of software.

Personally I use PSE v10 and like it and I refuse to go down the road of a yearly or monthly subscription for the full PS or LR or any other software for that matter. Although I did use to use Serif software and I do use the free canon software that comes with the camera.

Another vote for On1 Photo Raw.
I was reading one of those "comparative reviews" on YouTube and they reckoned that On1 was the most "Lightroom - like" in appearance and functions.
With the addition of layers and masks I can do with On1 what I would have previously used Photoshop for.
I've been using On1 for over two years and I honestly believe it produces better results than Lightroom.

I'm running LR 6.14, Afinity Photo & now just tried Luminar 4.
LR - Best for catalogue
AP - The AI tool for removing objects is extremely good (don't use PS anymore, as this is very good software) - I got for £28 - Bargain
L4 - Wooooo just learning this software, it is actually amazing. You have to be careful you don't over edit (meaning how truthful from the orginal image you go) but even it's Ai tools for touching up & contrast etc are really very good - I got for £44 - Bargain

Back