What print paper to buy? HP9180

Name
Wendy
Edit My Images
No
I have just bought an HP B9180 printer, with the intention of doing my own printing for customers. I do mostly portraits and weddings.

Anyone got this printer and worked out the best papers/best value for these sorts of subjects?

Obviously rendering of nice skin tones is a must. I also prefer a lustre/satin finish.

Last edited:
*tumbleweed blows off into the distance*..hmm maybe I posted this in the wrong forum, or...lets face it, paper choice is not the sexiest subject is it? :L

well, I went ahead and bought some Brilliant Supreme Lustre from Calumet, based on a comment made by Edinburgh_Gary on a different thread and some positive reviews of it's performance with this printer, and readily available profiles..also bought some Hahnemuhle Fine Art paper for some black and white printing. quite excited now :)

Try ICI's Olmec next time, great paper in Gloss or Satin.

I almost soley used it until I got a colour calibration system. Now I just buy whats going and generate my own ICC profile.

It's the one thing I wish I'd done it years ago :D

I use the Calumet paper with mine and not had a problem at all :)

Hope you get on Ok with it. If you are going to do a lot of printing on it, you might want to have a look at a CISS system for it. The inks are horrendously expensive at £25 a cart and 8 of them! I find myself spending £50 about every 6 weeks or so and I'm still printing quite low volumes.

http://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/ciss/hp/pro-b9180/photosmart-series

Now that's sexy! ;)

Hahnemühle Photo Rag Baryta is fantastic for B&W, has a lovely textured look to it.

I've found that once profiled Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl is a nice paper on my B9180

I have a B9180. Love it:)

I also have a system from fotorite for pigment inks, however I went with the refillable cartridges, because the external CISS won' let the door shut and you either haave to cut a little bit off the door or, wedge something in the catch so it registers shut.

I notice no difference in quality of out put at all. System is fully calibrated from camera to monitor to printer using Spyder3Studio SR.

I have several papers I use. Some of the premium quality A4 and A3 from HP and also some from Magiclee.

Currently running some trial packs of Hahnemühle to experiment as well

you don't really want a paper with too much texture for portraits

bog standard paper - ilford smooth pearl

high gloss paper - harman FB gloss or innova ultra smooth gloss

also consider innova art super glazed and ilford gold fibre silk.

Hahnemhule papers are stupidly expensive and IMHO not worht the extra cash

however you are far far cheaper getting your images printed by say DSCL than doing your own.

you don't really want a paper with too much texture for portraits

bog standard paper - ilford smooth pearl

high gloss paper - harman FB gloss or innova ultra smooth gloss

also consider innova art super glazed and ilford gold fibre silk.

Hahnemhule papers are stupidly expensive and IMHO not worht the extra cash

Missed that :bang: For B&W landscapes I haven't found anything better

Missed that :bang: For B&W landscapes I haven't found anything better

Harman by Hahnemuhle gloss art baryta is almost 1/2 the price of the fine art baryta (same backing but different coating) for the same effect.

The texture is down to personal taste

Harman by Hahnemuhle gloss art baryta is almost 1/2 the price of the fine art baryta (same backing but different coating) for the same effect.

I must be looking at the wrong thing as all I can find is 20 sheets of A3+ at £50 + VAT, which is about what I pay for Hahnemühle Photo Rag Baryta.

I'd be willing to try it at £30

I recommend buying some sample packs and seeing what you personally like. Most of the major players offer them

Back