What processing has been done here?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys, a question if I may.

My wife came across a local photographer to me doing images like this and asked me if I knew what sort of lightroom/photoshopping magic has gone on here.

http://butnaturalphotography.com/fine-art/

She wants me to edit a couple of photographs of our nephew like that but wouldn't have a clue where to even begin with something like this.

I note the photographer in question is offering workshops for £600 a day but blimey, thats almost a new Sigma Art lens that I'm after and I don't love my nephew that bloody much!

Any hints/pointers/tutorials that I could be pointed to? Any advice greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks
John

Last edited by a moderator:
They may well have done nothing except buy photoshop and paid for a preset plugin.

Then just press a button and automatically the preset is applied and then you can mess with it to your own taste.

Here are some examples, zero skill involved really

Probably best if you take down the picture and link to their photographers copy on their site.
Processing (and capture) wise, the gal's got to eat, so do think about paying if you like it. Knowledge is as much as a tool as a lens.

It's £300 for a day's knowledge!
http://butnaturalphotography.com/st...-magic-of-natural-light-photography-workshop/

£300 is the deposit. 2hrs by Skype is £649!

I'll speak to the wife. She holds the purse strings! I feel I need to learn photoshop first before attempting something like that. My knowledge of photoshop is very minimal to say the least. Thanks for your help everyone.

£300 is the deposit. 2hrs by Skype is £649!

I'll speak to the wife. She holds the purse strings! I feel I need to learn photoshop first before attempting something like that. My knowledge of photoshop is very minimal to say the least. Thanks for your help everyone.
My quick evaluation would be along the lines of:
  • Start off with a decent composition in decent light.
  • Stage the costume, jewellery etc to match the model / location / makeup and hair
  • 'Crush the blacks' with a 'j' Curve - basically drag up the bottom left of the curve up to around 1/5th or so on the left hand axis - gives the image a mat tone too.
  • Knock up the clarity a bit, add a bit of a vignette and then masses of use of selective dodge and burn etc to paint the image you want.

I

Probably best if you take down the picture and link to their photographers copy on their site.
Processing (and capture) wise, the gal's got to eat, so do think about paying if you like it. Knowledge is as much as a tool as a lens.

It's £300 for a day's knowledge!
http://butnaturalphotography.com/st...-magic-of-natural-light-photography-workshop/

£300 to secure your spot, then £350 payable on 1st August. Lots of people pay £650 for a day's tuition, it depends whether you like the style and want the easy route to achieving it, as the presets are included, along with a processing video.

I would personally look for reviews of the lady's courses first, as producing good images that appeal to you doesn't guarantee that she can teach, and for £650 you need to came away with the knowledge.

One thing to remember is you still need well lit and well exposed images as a basis for whatever you try to do.

Hi Guys, a question if I may.

My wife came across a local photographer to me doing images like this and asked me if I knew what sort of lightroom/photoshopping magic has gone on here.

http://butnaturalphotography.com/fine-art/

She wants me to edit a couple of photographs of our nephew like that but wouldn't have a clue where to even begin with something like this.

I note the photographer in question is offering workshops for £600 a day but blimey, thats almost a new Sigma Art lens that I'm after and I don't love my nephew that bloody much!

Any hints/pointers/tutorials that I could be pointed to? Any advice greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks
John

OMG.

The skill is undeniable. But the results are.. not to my taste. To put it mildly.

Get thee to Phlearn & sign up. It's worth it.

Back