What shall I do with 254 CDs?

• Thread starter Deleted member 54248
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 54248

Throughout the past two decades I used to use CDs. Lots of them. I've lots of stuff that I've backupped now, but I've no idea what to do with the disks. I don't need them and they are taking space and I can't sell them due to the contents on them. I'm a practical guy, so something like a lamp made outta disks doesn't interest me either, nor am I willing to pay to make say... a Tesla turbine for fun. So essentially I've a full drawer of disks and nothing to do with them. Any ideas besides shattering and throwing them in a big black trash bag or setting one on fire and see how a CD burns?

I wonder if we will still use disks in a decade; we aren't using floppies since long ago...

Not sure what 'content' you're talking of but it's perfectly acceptable to sell music CDs second hand. If you really can't do that then a 250+ CD tree out in the back garden would look good. :)

They make good coasters.

Not sure what 'content' you're talking of but it's perfectly acceptable to sell music CDs second hand. If you really can't do that then a 250+ CD tree out in the back garden would look good. :)

It's not music, it's mostly documents. I've been involved in lots of projects involving sensitive data, whether started by me or otherwise. And unfortunately (ironically?) my garden is being taken by the government, as they are gonna build homes there. But I'm not complaining as I live in an apartment and it was just an extra piece of land that was simply forgotten due to being bit outta city.

That would look pretty cool though. I'm writing it down, I may come up with something related to this.

They make good coasters.

They slide too much, in my opinion anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's sensitive data, then perhaps they should be destroyed.

If it's sensitive data, then perhaps they should be destroyed.

That's what I'm thinking. Any ideas on fun ways to destroy them besides smashing or burning them?

A decent shredder :LOL:

Beer mats or feed them to your shredder.

Come to mine and I'll lend you a shotgun. We also have one of these for playing about :D

1244620_01_clay_pigeon_thrower_640.jpg

Edit: the picture isn't showing, it's meant to be a clay pigeon throwing thingy ma jig.

Last edited:
10 or so at a time for around 5 seconds in the microwave. will be done quite quickly.

I
Trouble with shooting them is they breakup into sharp piece's .
I have an area that is covered in shrapnel from shooting various objects that have annoyed me or got in the way. Some cd's would add a nice touch :)

RSPB do a recycle will pick up any amount over 50.

Don't know if they destry them and the data on them.

Trevor

I think there are firms that will securely destroy media for you - if there are hundreds it would be a bit tedious individually shredding them or microwaving them!

RSPB do a recycle will pick up any amount over 50.

Don't know if they destry them and the data on them.

Trevor

I'm not willing to trust a firm unless it does it under my supervision in a way that I know for a fact that destroys data completely.

Come to mine and I'll lend you a shotgun. We also have one of these for playing about :D

1244620_01_clay_pigeon_thrower_640.jpg

Edit: the picture isn't showing, it's meant to be a clay pigeon throwing thingy ma jig.

Strangely enough the picture shows in the quote window, I wonder if it will when I post this.

Anyway, I'd come with pleasure if you lived in Eastern Europe - shoot them was my first idea, but none of my friends had a gun except a long and weak air single-"bullet" rifle that'd be tedious, slow and boring to use. I even looked into DIY guns to be honest, haha.

10 or so at a time for around 5 seconds in the microwave. will be done quite quickly.

I don't own a microwave, actually. Strange, I know.

I'm liking the lamp at number 6 on this link.........

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mputrino/18-diy-projects-for-unwanted-cds

It's pretty neat, but I've no use for more clutter on my desk. It was one of the things I considered for a while and looked into when I started googling. What I haven't seen however, is this: http://www.designboom.com/art/large-scale-cd-installation-at-waddesdon-manor-by-bruce-munro/ which may inspire something else. I wrote it down.

Whatever you do, don't burn them. I like to securely destroy old CD's and threw some in my chimenea last year.
Oh the black acrid smoke that came out....was vile.

Old cd/dvds make excellent bird scarers! Tie a lot together and they flutter and flash around in the breeze. I bet local allotment holders would use them.
You could score them with a knife or drill out the centres so they can't spin or I've heard that wiping with acetone renders them unreadable. My mate's just said stick good duck tape on and rip it off and that will destroy data!

Cheapest way possibly is to get a sharpie marker and write "Windows ME" on them all.
No one would dream of touching them with a bargepole. :)

Superglue stacks together then drill down through the stacks in a few places. Stick them in the freezer for a couple of hours then shatter them with a hammer (while wearing safety specs, of course!)

Sounds like the easiest way if you don't have a microwave is to get a sharp knife or screwdriver and deeply score from centre to the edge. That will make them totally unreadable.

Whatever you do, don't burn them. I like to securely destroy old CD's and threw some in my chimenea last year.
Oh the black acrid smoke that came out....was vile.

Haha, now I wanna see that! I'll burn at least one. Outside of course (thanks for the warning!).

Old cd/dvds make excellent bird scarers! Tie a lot together and they flutter and flash around in the breeze. I bet local allotment holders would use them.
You could score them with a knife or drill out the centres so they can't spin or I've heard that wiping with acetone renders them unreadable. My mate's just said stick good duck tape on and rip it off and that will destroy data!

Ripping it off with decent duck tape works well, acetone however can be tricky. best way to destroy them is just get a big knife or an old pair of scissors and scratch 'em real good.

Cheapest way possibly is to get a sharpie marker and write "Windows ME" on them all.
No one would dream of touching them with a bargepole. :)

...Or Windows 98!

Superglue stacks together then drill down through the stacks in a few places. Stick them in the freezer for a couple of hours then shatter them with a hammer (while wearing safety specs, of course!)

Now that is an interesting idea! I'm gonna stack some of 'em and put them in the freezer for a while, see how well they shatter. I like cold stuff. Speaking of which, I figured I should create a new thread regarding snow photography.

Sounds like the easiest way if you don't have a microwave is to get a sharp knife or screwdriver and deeply score from centre to the edge. That will make them totally unreadable.

It's cheap but boring and absolutely deprived of any fun factor. Which is very important. Fun is important when destroying stuff, y'know. :p

Offer em to your local yacht club, boat owners tie em in strings along their rigging etc to frighten off seagulls who crap all over the boat.

Offer em to your local yacht club, boat owners tie em in strings along their rigging etc to frighten off seagulls who crap all over the boat.
Throwing them at seagulls is more fun ;)
Not that I would really suggest that as Seagulls are a protected species apart from the lesser black backs.
Shoot them with a crossbow :)
Just don't aim for the "bullseye" though :D

Throwing them at seagulls is more fun ;)
Not that I would really suggest that as Seagulls are a protected species apart from the lesser black backs.

:geek: technically there is no such bird as a seagull. They are just gulls. But hey, face, bovvered?

:geek: technically there is no such bird as a seagull. They are just gulls. But hey, face, bovvered?
True they are all gulls of one descriptive name or another.
But its like a hoover isn't it? one name is a "catch all :D

But of course we now have the land gulls too, that never stray far from a landfill ;)

True they are all gulls of one descriptive name or another.
But its like a hoover isn't it? one name is a "catch all :D
Theres an estate near me, they have a Mallard Road, A Curlew Road and a seagull Road. So even the council didnt know.

But of course we now have the land gulls too, that never stray far from a landfill ;)
Indeed and giving rise to the q "why do seagulls have wings?" "To beat the kayers to the tip"

Indeed and giving rise to the q "why do seagulls have wings?" "To beat the kayers to the tip"
The old ones are not always the best ones :p

Quite agree ! :) If you've any mates with guns let them have the cds for target practice :)

I'd rather take their guns and shoot 'em myself - hell of a lot more fun! Too bad I don't have such opportunity.

We don't have a yacht club here, actually. There may be one in another city, but I highly doubt it. We're too poor for that rich folk stuff!! Haha.

Shoot them with a crossbow :)

I actually contemplated a DIY crossbow. Then I figured a bow would be way easier. I may make a bow, I'm still thinking about it. But probably I'll discard it as too much work for too little return. Still - interesting idea you put out here!

Surely theres some photos to be make here of destruction?

Oh surely; I wouldn't deprive you guys of the fun I'll be having, now would I? Tomorrow I'm getting my camera and today I hope I'll figure more ways to have fun with 'em. Actually I have the camera already, just no SD card, which apparently had to be shipped, as they didn't have the one I wanted (picked up a 32GB one).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back