What should I have this image printed on?

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
The profiles I have show the blacks out of gamut for most gloss/satin/linen papers, mostly w/in range for matte papers, and within range for a print on metal. Obviously I can edit for the destination, but I don't know what is most likely to bring out the most from this photo. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sandhill Crane
by Steven Kersting, on Flickr

Last edited:
Matte under acrylic?
I've only used matte/linen type papers for B&W type prints... I'm not sure how suitable they really are for color. I like the idea of printing it on metal, but I'm not sure that wouldn't be a little much for this image (gaudy) or if it would help (sense of depth).

I've only done one on metal and it looked good but it was a wedding reception scene rather than wildlife ... colourful and atmospheric but in no way gaudy.

I think I have seen either as a sample or at an exhibition, a wildlife image or two....printed on a Photo Rag type paper.

It might be a case of a few test prints on a few paper types and see what looks right for you???

I think I have seen either as a sample or at an exhibition, a wildlife image or two....printed on a Photo Rag type paper.

It might be a case of a few test prints on a few paper types and see what looks right for you???
I'll be using a print shop... so it's more like getting a few different prints.

I'll be using a print shop... so it's more like getting a few different prints.

FWIW
I don't print my own and have used a couple/few print 'shops' as well as getting sample packs from others.......the latter is why I think I have or had an example print of wildlife on photo rag paper?

But yes, though you would likely have to pay, if you order a small size e.g. even as small as a 6x4 that should show you how well it prints & looks?

PS as an aside ~ I had some blank greetings cards printed and the supplier offered a test print set of the planned 4 images to be printed. The cost of the test was then offset against the full order. I was delighted with the service and product.......sold a few at the time :)

Last edited:
How important are your blacks? I find matt papers are much gentler with them than anything with a shine.

Never printed on metal so re: paper....

Ultimately it's difficult because it's your interpretation of how you want the image to look - especially the reds and oranges in this image. Generally speaking (and to my eyes!), a matt paper will mute (i.e. soften rather than desat) the colours and edges which will look great for the neck and softer feathers but will mute the lovely sharp edges on the wing plumage.

Shiny papers will define the edges really nicely, but possibly over-define the softer areas. Shiny papers also have that gloss coating which reflects the light causing "shine" from different viewing angles. I include nice cotton baryta's in this too like Canson's Platine Fibre Rag.

How big are you going? Is the image going behind glass?

With all the greys in this I'd try Hahnemuhle's Photo Rag Metallic. It's a gorgeous paper.
Do I recall correctly you're in the US? If you are, Museo Silver Rag is another wonderful paper, but we can't get it in the UK any more :(

Last edited:
This really needs to be smooth matt paper. My favourite suggestion would be Canon Rag Photo 310. It's all pretty much midtone greys so should be very easy to profile.

I am rather surprised that you find glossy papers being out of gamut and matt not. Normally this is the other way round, unless maybe you are looking at C-types which are best avoided where possible.

Instinctively I lean towards metal for this image. The grey of the medium would enhance the plumage. Just make sure that you go for the 'HD' version.

This really needs to be smooth matt paper. My favourite suggestion would be Canon Rag Photo 310. It's all pretty much midtone greys so should be very easy to profile.

I am rather surprised that you find glossy papers being out of gamut and matt not. Normally this is the other way round, unless maybe you are looking at C-types which are best avoided where possible.
It's just the blacks that pack up on the matte papers... but I was just looking at some *generic* profiles I have installed, not a specific profile that I will need to use.

How important are your blacks? I find matt papers are much gentler with them than anything with a shine.

Never printed on metal so re: paper....

Ultimately it's difficult because it's your interpretation of how you want the image to look - especially the reds and oranges in this image. Generally speaking (and to my eyes!), a matt paper will mute (i.e. soften rather than desat) the colours and edges which will look great for the neck and softer feathers but will mute the lovely sharp edges on the wing plumage.

Shiny papers will define the edges really nicely, but possibly over-define the softer areas. Shiny papers also have that gloss coating which reflects the light causing "shine" from different viewing angles. I include nice cotton baryta's in this too like Canson's Platine Fibre Rag.

How big are you going? Is the image going behind glass?

With all the greys in this I'd try Hahnemuhle's Photo Rag Metallic. It's a gorgeous paper.
Do I recall correctly you're in the US? If you are, Museo Silver Rag is another wonderful paper, but we can't get it in the UK any more :(
Thanks. The Hahnemuhle sounds great; but I will be sending this out as I don't do my own printing any more...
At least 16" and probably not behind glass... Not too concerned with the blacks per se, but the dark grays...

Last edited:
and probably not behind glass
Many rag / matt papers don't have a very robust printed surface & can be prone to rubbing.

This looks like a high-definition image that might suggest a high-definition medium (high gloss / metal) - but there might be a danger of it looking too clinical on such a medium.

This will be subjective to a degree. You could always extract a portion of the image at the intended resolution and print small copies for a trial run on a range of media.

Many rag / matt papers don't have a very robust printed surface & can be prone to rubbing.

This looks like a high-definition image that might suggest a high-definition medium (high gloss / metal) - but there might be a danger of it looking too clinical on such a medium.

This will be subjective to a degree. You could always extract a portion of the image at the intended resolution and print small copies for a trial run on a range of media.
Thanks.
I'll probably just get it printed on aluminum, if I don't think it's quite right I'll sell it on.

Photo rag would add texture to complement the texture of the feathers.
This could be the answer. It is a natural creature after all and too much definition could sterilise the sense of its aliveness.

Digital tech has come on in leaps and bounds, and I see more and more images these days that seem to be expositions of engineering excellence rather than having true heart. Where this often manifests uncomfortably is in how edges (eg a skyline against the sky) are rendered. Many people seem to be oblivious of this.

Back