What was my camera upto

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks

Can anyone shed any light on what my D7000 was up to.
Aperture priority
Auto Iso

Red Arrows high ISO by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

Why would my camera set the ISO to 5000 and then shutter to 1/6400

Thanks
Matt

Because you have it set on Auto ISO Matt. Just reading up on some basic stuff which can be found easily, will give you a very good insight as to what is actually going on with your camera each time you switch it on and change the mode (y)

Cheers
I was just confused on why it would up the ISO so much and then up the shutter to counter the high ISO.

It was set to auto but when I realised I lowered it too 100 and then it seemed to use 100 as a starting point and I dont think from then on it went above 600.

Cheers
I was just confused on why it would up the ISO so much and then up the shutter to counter the high ISO.

It was set to auto but when I realised I lowered it too 100 and then it seemed to use 100 as a starting point and I dont think from then on it went above 600.

You may have ISO auto compensation on in settings, I think that is what it's called :thinking: I can't find it now :shrug:

Last edited:
Id respond with who cares! Lovely image.

Too much goes into technical perfection these days, there isnt enough enjoyment of the final image.

You spend time learning rules and learning how to be perfect, then get to a point where its dull, you then spend 2 years undoing the rules you learned for the prior 2 years!

Excellent image.

Too much goes into technical perfection these days, there isnt enough enjoyment of the final image.

You spend time learning rules and learning how to be perfect, then get to a point where its dull, you then spend 2 years undoing the rules you learned for the prior 2 years!

Excellent image.

:agree:

it is a nice pic and like the smoke trails.

Excellent image.

Hear Hear ! :clap:

The thing is though you have to first learn the rules before you attempt to break them, otherwise you won't understand what's going on.

As regards auto ISO, it's always good to double check when you switch your camera back on what the settings are, (that doesn't only apply to ISO though) i remember sometime back doing some studio shots and couldn't understand why the shots were coming out really over exposed, because when i checked the ISO it was set on 200, just that i hadn't switched off auto :bonk: fortunately it was photos of my daughter, so no real damage, as i could redo, but it's often silly mistakes like this that makes a balls up, and more often than not caused through rushing things, so always good to take a step back, and take your time, i've learnt this the hard way on more than one occasion, however it wasn't a bad learning curve, as it's made me give more attention to detail. I'm a firm believer that photography shouldn't be rushed. I recently walked out on a shoot with another photographer, because she was trying to rush me as it was her shoot, and thought she knew it all, funny thing was not to long before she was asking me about the settings on her camera, as she never had a clue :eek:

Oh and nice image too :)

Excellent image.

thats all well and good this time but what if his settings are wrong next time and its not " a lovely image" i think you need to understand what you've done so you can repeat the shot again if need be hth mike

Having looked at the exif, is it that he was on aperture priority at f/11 and a shutter of 1/6400 says to me auto ISO was off and was manually set to ISO5000?

I thought Auto ISO picked the most appropriate (lowest) ISO available?

Having looked at the exif, is it that he was on aperture priority at f/11 and a shutter of 1/6400 says to me auto ISO was off and was manually set to ISO5000?

I thought Auto ISO picked the most appropriate (lowest) ISO available?

Thats what I thought.

The next 5-6 shots where at ISO5000 then one at ISO4500 then back to ISO5000 then it jumps down to ISO1600 then ISO100. Something funny was going on. May have been the sea air as my mates D7100 locked up and needed to have the battery removed.

Oh well moving on.

Thanks for the comments on the shot I actually put that one up as I thought it looked the worst shot. Goes to show how much I know then.

B/W below.....Too much????

Red Arrows high ISO B-W by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

Damn missed a dust bunny

Last edited:
Back