What will be your next photography related purchase? Or what photography gear do you lust after?

The only thing I'm lusting for is some warm sunny weather to photograph in, rather than this dismally dull, flat sky with mizzling rain.... Unless of course Nikon or someone develops a new camera with a 40Mpx sensor and a lens that can range from 25mm to 1800mm at f2.8 throughout, ohh and doesn't weigh a ton.... :D

Failing that, a new tripod that's as stable as my 30 year old one (unknown brand), but about 1/4 of the weight......

I've had my finger on the trigger about six times in the past month, but I eventually went through with it and the 5D IV arrives tomorrow! :woot::woot:
Thankyou redundancy payout!!!

As nice as lenses are, theres nothing like waiting for and opening a brand new body is there!

As nice as lenses are, theres nothing like waiting for and opening a brand new body is there!

Given that my 1DX and 7D2 bodies cost a small fraction of my lenses then I think you might guess which new (yo me) box I would prefer to open! ;)

I take it you have some nice telephoto glass then! :D

Well I think I have some nice glass (hopefully!):)

Starting from the short end I have (all Canon) 16-35 F4 L IS (best bang for the buck lens that I have), 28mm F2.8 (it was cheap), 24-70 F2.8 L Mk2 (pricey - but I love it!), 100 F2.8 Macro, 100-400 Mk2 (very nice), 300 F2.8 L IS (don't use it very often but WOW!) and my 800 F5.6 L IS = Nirvana! The Canon 800mm accounts for somewhere between 80 and 90% of my photography! Yes it is big and heavy + you need a lot of other heavy kit to use it, but it is worth it! I also have some nice Canon FD glass and a few M39 lenses for my Leica.

All the best.

Next purchase will be either D750 or D810, jury is still out on which,

Lusting after a 500mm F4 to go with it :)

Got myself one of those canon selphy printers. Bought it from the amazon warehouse deals section for less than a new one. Arrived today, the printer is as good as new and it even had paper and an ink cartridge installed which don't usually come with them!
Nice bonus that let me do some test prints to see how images from my p&s and phone camera look when printed.

Got myself one of those canon selphy printers. Bought it from the amazon warehouse deals section for less than a new one. Arrived today, the printer is as good as new and it even had paper and an ink cartridge installed which don't usually come with them!
Nice bonus that let me do some test prints to see how images from my p&s and phone camera look when printed.
How ar ethe prints?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

After a week or so of being outbid by £2 on various 70-300mm Canon lenses, I finally won one last night.

It's hardly up there with L series glass, but my plan this next 12 months is to save up for the 24-70 L 2.8 (SH), then get another body - probably 80d.

How ar ethe prints?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Talk Photography Forums mobile app
They're nice. Balanced colours but slightly under saturated, luminance is a little low, but that's probably more to do with viewing photos on back-lit screens that aren't 100% colour accurate. I'm sure there's probably options on there to change things slightly but I haven't had a close look at the settings yet.

Last edited:
I have lots of things on my list but I would like a Gimbal for my wildlife photography wonder if Santa will stick one under the tree

Hi John

I’m using the Canon 100-400 just on my Manfrotto tripod at the moment but have no idea about Gimbals so any advice would be much appreciated thanks ..

I have the 100-400 Mk2 and they are not idael for gimbal heads as their balance changes as you zoom in or out. Having said that if you want to shoot moving subjects then I think they are the best solution.

I wouldn't go spending a fortune on a Wimberley 2 or similar - they are great but more than you need plus they are heavy. I would start by looking at the Lensmaster range:

http://www.lensmaster.co.uk/t1.htm

I have their RH1 and it's pretty good for anything up to a 300 F2.8 or a bit more. Their T1 model looks interesting too (though note the elevation restrictions). If you are in any doubt contact them - Rob is very helpful.

If you don't mind spending a bit more then these look tasty:

http://carmarthencameras.com/tripod...obu-jr-3-gimbal-kit-with-swing-arm-hm-j2.html

I haven't tried this particular version but their products are well made and robust.

Feel free to bounce any ideas off me - happy to help if I can. Happy hunting!

What I lust after is... But back to camera related stuff. An old Nikon body, that has a focus motor. So I can use all my old lenses again. :)

Still waiting for the Voigtlander 40/1.2 to be in stock..... :banghead:

Still annoyed I missed one on eBay the other week too. Sold on BIN while I was reading the description/etc

Hoping to finally pick up a Sony A900 when LCE open Monday, keep missing sensibly priced ones.

Gear wise I am really good with 2x D810's and 1x D800 and the 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 F2.8 zooms plus the 20mm F1.8 Nikkor and Sigma 24,35 and 50mm F1.4 primes. Oh and a 16-35F4 that I am selling

I have the Lee 0.3, 0.6, 0.75 and 0.9 soft edge ND filters and the 0.6 soft edge SW150 filters plus big stopper in SW150 and little stopper in 100mm.

Lens wise I know I am good for all my work. Filters get scratched and will need to replace the Lee 0.3, 0.6, 0.75 and 0.9 soft edge ND filters as some are quite worn/scratched/chipped.

Ttripod I have a Manfrotto 190 which is ideal but again, tired

Bag wise I have too many but then again you can never have enough.

Sure a D850 (x2 or x3) would be amazing but the D810's are still quite new so I feel it is an extravagant upgrade and tbh the 810's and 800 more than work for me. Lens wise I'm more than fine and typing this lot out kinda makes me feel over geared up but I wouldn't want to pair back either.

So new filters and tripod for me sooner rather than later and just the same again for these.

Part of me wants to move to medium format digital but the costs of getting a range of lens suitable for my work is eye watering so I put it off. But I doubt I will buying any more Nikon Fit Lens's now.

Last edited:
a big backpack as my flipside 400 aw just is not big enough :(
the 300 is handy for small trips
and although its bigger I am just not a fan of my photo trekker classic.

Used LowePro Supertrekker? Even without the side pouches and detachable daypack it is still huge - handy if you need to bring the kitchen sink as well!

Mine is very comfy too.

A7R3, 16-35 f/2.8 GM and 70-200 f/4 GM right now.

Oh, and Oly 40-150mm f/2.8...

Just listed about 6.5-7k worth of gear there.

God dammit.

My last purchase was a shoulder bag (don't ask, but it's natively rainfall-proof, which narrows the field a lot!).

My next purchase will be an order of 40 12" x 16" prints to add to the portfolio resource that I can draw on to tout for exhibition space.

No cameras, no lenses - sorry, all you equipment freaks.

Just upgraded my 70D to a 5D mark IV, but still waiting delivery of my pre-ordered Sigma 60-600mm Sport lens. I'm like a kid at Xmas waiting for Santa to come.

How old? Nikon D2h old or older?
Not looking at spending a lot, as I did not really want another DSLR. I only wanted something so I can get some use out of my old zoom lenses, and my old 50mm 1.8D that I loved using. I do keep an eye out from time to time, in the hopes of spotting something, in the pre owned shops ( high street shops, shopping centres). Regarding camera model, I am probably looking for a well used older body, as I don't have a great deal of cash to play with. Probably just a few hundred quid.

Back