What would you have?

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm thinking about changing my 75-300 IS for something else, so far I have a short list of 3 Canon lenses.

70-200 f2.8 L IS
70-200 f2.8 L
100-400 f4 L

I'm liking the idea of f2.8 but is the IS worth the extra over the non IS lens ? I'd make up the missing focal length of the 200 with a 1.4 extender.

The push/pull zoom is a little off putting on the 100/400......whats it like in reality?

I'm sure there are lenses by other manufacturers of similar quality to the Canon offerings, feel free to chuck some ideas in :thumb:

Another option is the sigma 70-200mm F2.8.

I've got it and the 100-400. The sigma is at least as sharp as the canon and gives an extra stop. The IS however is a real help as you know. If you can afford it I'd probably go for the canon IS version. This is an interesting review

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_70200_28/index.htm

The push pull on the canon really isn't a problem, takes a bit of getting used to but easy to use. I haven't found dust ingress to be a problem either

I don't think you fully appreciate IS until you use a lens which doesn't have it. You're at once acutely aware of the image dithering around in the viewfinder.

I'd have to recommend the 100-400L IS purely for it's range and convenience. There's a friction collar which adjusts the push/pull zoom tension which can also be used to lock the lens at any focal length.

70-200 f.28 IS L USM lens gets my vote....My favourite lens, hardly ever have it off my 1D, my 24-70 f2.8 L is on my 20D for closer shots.

I do get some good images with my 100-400 but don't like the mechanism!
Carl.
PS bike racing mainly!

Another vote for the 70-200 2.8 IS.

I started with the 70-200 f4 L , sold it few months later, then bought the 2.8 IS.

Works just great with the Canon 1.4X extender, hardly any noticable loss in quality.

You dont apreciate the IS until you switch it off !

Not cheap, but a great lens you will keep for many years.

Mark.

thank guys, your confirming my thoughts.

i have been leaning towards the f2.8 IS for a while :clap:
but it's a fair old slice of cash.:embarasse

Back