What's the best way to attract Woodpeckers

Edit My Images
No
We have the Green and the Great nearby, on our land.

What's the best way to attract them and get nearer to them

Stick a tree trunk vertically in the open and smoother it with peanut butter....???

Green.jpg

Last edited:
My daily GSW's loves peanuts along with fat balls with mealworms mixed in (bought like that). I have perches around the garden with holes for peanut butter and peanuts and they will land on them, but only briefly, before going to the peanut feeders.

Thats a nice picture of the Green, never seen one around here, even with me backing onto woodland. Another bird I haven't seen around are Goldfiches, been putting nyger and sunflower seeds out for a month or so now, but no sightings.

Also, I have was having a load of LTT throughout the winter months and I haven't seen them in my garden for approx three months now, bit disapointed as I would loved to have photographed the fledglings.

Another bird I haven't seen around are Goldfiches, been putting nyger and sunflower seeds out for a month or so now, but no sightings.

I was disappointed with the niger seed. But, I had it hanging out for 6 weeks before I saw the first Goldfinch on it and now there are a couple that come daily. :)

I really thought I'd wasted money at first lol!

Hi Bill, another vote for penuts. A holesaw in a tree branch,I'd actually go bigger than above for this method,say 6 cm filled with nuts and then 4 screws to secure some mesh across the hole and keep nuts in place,for birds to grab. Bill I know a little local place they use this, it works VERY well,it's also unobtrusive to our eyes if done with thought given towards the viewing angle and hence shouldn't be a feature of our pictures .Oh only seen great spotted go for this not green,well so far.anyway.
good luck
Stu

Peanuts for most birds are often best put through the blender,its not as easy for them to grab one and fly off,for Woodpeckers we used to get a whole suet from the butchers wrap it in chicken wire if you have squirrels around,then fix it to a tree,now i just use attora suet from the supermarket and press it into holes in the tree.

Back