Whats this all about ?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
Lately I have seen lots of this on my and other photos, This shot has not been through any PP yet.
What I would like to know is, what is causing this pixeling on my shots.
Nikon D500
flash diffused (not pop-up)
I have seen such a lot of this type of pixeling of late it really is putting me off photography as it detracts from what I would like to see.
Any advice?

crap.PNG

I have to agree with the above, it just looks oof and over exposed.

No, forget what I was taking a photo of, its the BG

OK tomorrow I will circle the areas that I talk about. Must be just me that sees this area of mess.

There is an odd chevron/angle bracket shape on the LHS but I guess that’s some sort of artefact. That’s all I can see that is odd.

And, I fell asleep, well no, I forgot about this, hah not like me.
On this amge that I have, I have circled the places that I can see are pixelated, this is not a edited shot so please forget the butterfly/flower.
DSC_5854.jpg

I wonder if he's referring to JPG compression artifacts?
Might be that but I can see this effect on the RAW files as well.

To avoid the forum upload size restriction, could you put a larger version somewhere on-line and post here with a link to it? Because I can't see what you're on about.

All I can see in those areas is normal bokeh. Are you sure you are not zooming in too far, because if you do you will always see all sorts.

All I can see in those areas is normal bokeh. Are you sure you are not zooming in too far, because if you do you will always see all sorts.
No zoom at all, sooc and just converted into jpg for here.

I can't see anything odd either, zooming in as far as possible on a very high resolution monitor. It occurs to me that you may be seeing things that aren't actually in the photograph, but are created by whatever program you're using to view the photograph because it's doing a quick and dirty job of presenting the image on your screen in order not to annoy you by taking a while to do it properly. That used to happen a lot when computer processors were less powerful, and some old fashioned image editors and image viewers still do it sometimes.

But that's just speculation. You've got to find a way of making this thing you're calling "pixeling" visible to others. Make a tiny crop of the worst example you can find, magnified as much as possible, and post that.

Whatever it is you're seeing, pixelling / pixelated is not the right word.

You're just observing slightly different colours as shapes, as a result of OOF backgrounds?

If you shot the image in a narrow depth of field, the background would be in focus too?

Whatever it is you're seeing, pixelling / pixelated is not the right word.

You're just observing slightly different colours as shapes, as a result of OOF backgrounds?

If you shot the image in a narrow depth of field, the background would be in focus too?
As my photo shows I shoot macro/close-up, Nikon D500 Tokina 100mm and a off camera flash on the hotshoe, setup to work as TTL.
So most / all of my macro /closeup shots are about f11-f14. It's strange, I've not seen this (whatever its called) before.
If I can see this strange thing but you lot can't, could it be my monitor?

I just noticed a new thread by @the black fox and when I opened this thread I could clearly see the same on his shot that I see on my photos.
Thread titled, Bee on yellow flower.

I've looked at both your image and the bee photo and can't see any problem with either to be honest.

I'll bet anyone you show your image to will not see anything amiss either.

I think you're searching for problems where there are none.

I've looked at both your image and the bee photo and can't see any problem with either to be honest.

I'll bet anyone you show your image to will not see anything amiss either.

I think you're searching for problems where there are none.
I just asked the O/H, shes not into photography so just sees beautiful photo`s.
Yes she can see what I am seeing so it`s not just me.

I can't see anything odd either, zooming in as far as possible on a very high resolution monitor. It occurs to me that you may be seeing things that aren't actually in the photograph, but are created by whatever program you're using to view the photograph because it's doing a quick and dirty job of presenting the image on your screen in order not to annoy you by taking a while to do it properly. That used to happen a lot when computer processors were less powerful, and some old fashioned image editors and image viewers still do it sometimes.

But that's just speculation. You've got to find a way of making this thing you're calling "pixeling" visible to others. Make a tiny crop of the worst example you can find, magnified as much as possible, and post that.

I hope that you can see this now?
DSC_5854.jpg

That is still just normal bokeh. Have you any well-exposed images with this 'defect'? At the moment, we are looking at a poor image which really doesn't seem to have anything wrong with it apart from exposure.

Last edited:
I've had a look through some of your images on flickr and I think I know what you mean.... have you tried a different macro lens? The oof areas seem distracting rather than smooth on some of your shots.
Thanks,
I do have another Macro lens although a different size and not what I would normally use.
The last photo on my flickr, (1st one to see) is a Bee, above the Bee is that distracting artifact that I can see, can you?

Have you any well-exposed images with this 'defect'? At the moment, we are looking at a poor image which really doesn't seem to have anything wrong with it apart from exposure.
On my flickr, 11th Aug photo 5911, last shot on there, its above the Bee.

Still can't see it! Does it happen with an entirely plain background?

Last edited:
As others have said, its completely normal.
Being constructive and trying to really look into it for you, I would comment that its not the most pleasing of OOF, shallow DOF backgrounds, and this is largely down to it being a cheap lens. But this really is minor nit picking. If I was you I wouldn't worry about it.

Put time and effort into get the exposure right in the first place.

It may also be because, as it's macro and you want to maximize the DOF, shooting at f11 & f14 will make the bokeh less pleasing than a wider aperture.

I'd take a shot with the same lens at f5.6 to see if the "pixellations" or "artifacts" disappear.

If they do there's your answer.

OK, thanks all for the help/replies/responses.
I`ll go away and bang my head in a small dark corner of a barrel. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Back