What's this high pitched ringing outside?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

I'm looking for some help for suggestions to identify what could be the source of an intermittent high pitched ringing noise which occurs outside my house (it's not tinnitus).

It is intermittent, occurring randomly but the noise is always the same. It's been going all morning today. It's an extremely high pitched three tone repeating pattern. It lasts for about 5 seconds each cycle. And the three tones get higher before repeating.

It can only be heard at the front of the house and if I close the windows I can't hear it.

Working from home currently, having to put up with it is driving me mad!

What could it be?
Thanks!

Burglar alarm or someone playing with a really annoying game in their garden.

That is easy
you are under surveillance by Martians.
Haha no I have my tinfoil hat to protect me. ;)

I should also mention this has been ongoing for days and is higher pitched than a smoke alarm or similar. It's almost inaudible (the wife can't hear it) but is definitely there.

Last edited:
Are you near a train station by any chance?

Hi all.

I'm looking for some help for suggestions to identify what could be the source of an intermittent high pitched ringing noise which occurs outside my house (it's not tinnitus).

It is intermittent, occurring randomly but the noise is always the same. It's been going all morning today. It's an extremely high pitched three tone repeating pattern. It lasts for about 5 seconds each cycle. And the three tones get higher before repeating.

It can only be heard at the front of the house and if I close the windows I can't hear it.

Working from home currently, having to put up with it is driving me mad!

What could it be?
Thanks!

I'm not a fan of Facebook but in this case it might be worth asking on a local group if anyone else has noticed the sound.

Dave

Haha no I have my tinfoil hat to protect me. ;)

I should also mention this has been ongoing for days and is higher pitched than a smoke alarm or similar. It's almost inaudible (the wife can't hear it) but is definitely there.

More likely you are hearing a Huawei G5 Arial sending secret high frequency Covid19 production data back to China.
MI5 and MI6 are onto it right now, and they are holding a meeting with Borris at midnight with gin and cigarettes in the prefects dorm.

It may well be a deterrent alarm - some people are sensitive to frequencies that others are not. Perhaps asking on a neighbourhood forum as suggested above might work. Either way, hope it gets resolved soon! :)

Someone's smoke alarm's low battery warning?

It may well be a deterrent alarm - some people are sensitive to frequencies that others are not. Perhaps asking on a neighbourhood forum as suggested above might work. Either way, hope it gets resolved soon! :)

That was what I was wondering when I queried the location.................is it a form of Mosquito Anti Loitering alarm. Normally only audible to <25year olds but exceptions in older folk do exist??

That was what I was wondering when I queried the location.................is it a form of Mosquito Anti Loitering alarm. Normally only audible to <25year olds but exceptions in older folk do exist??

Absolutely, it is very possible. Mosquito, cats etc. All frequency dependent and some unlucky folk fall into those ranges..

Somewhere in our kitchen is a kids watch/game/tamagotchi or whatever. Once every couple of days, random times, it would beep. Just once. Not long enough to locate it. Eventually the battery must have just died. We never found it. No help I know. Just demonstrating that I understand your pain. :)

Contact your council's Noise Control people. They will track it down. It may help if you can record it in case it stops before the council arrive.

Contact your council's Noise Control people. They will track it down. It may help if you can record it in case it stops before the council arrive.
If it stops before the council comes... job done... who needs a recording?

No it's actually Martians. Your tinfoil hat will not work against their scanners; you need Titanium.

If it stops before the council comes... job done... who needs a recording?

It may start up again.
Also, not infrequently, the noise control people will have had other complaints about a noise and have verbally instructed the perpetrator to stop or be prosecuted in which case the council officers may issue an on the spot notice.

Sounds like a fox deterrent where the high pitch whine is supposed to unsettle foxes and move them on. But I thought those kind of devices are now outlawed due to their noisy nature, perhaps they can still be purchased overseas from lesser known web sites.

A few years ago I went to visit a ladyfriend and after a while I said to her about being able to hear this ear piercing "beeeeeep" sound but she couldn't hear it at all whereas I could with my hearing aids. I walked around the house to try and find the the cause and then got to her opened back door (she was letting fresh air in at the time) and that sound was a lot louder in her back yard. I looked over the fence and traced it to a black box on a pole in her next door's back yard. I said that was really going through my head and it also explained why my friend's two boys has been saying the same thing of late. She probably had words with the nieghbour about it afterwards as the noise was absent when I visited her place a fortnight later.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

It's just dawned on me this could be a deterrent as you suggest!
We do have a local fox problem in our neighbourhood and a neighbour recently (suspectedly) lost a cat to one.
I'll see if I can track down the source of the noise and tlak to the neighbours.

Many thanks. :)

Reactions: Sky
We have one of the deterrents but it does not make a noise, there is an led light that flashes but no-one has complained about the noise.

Not even the fox on our shed. :confused:Fox.jpg

Back