Wheat Bisks - Yay or Ney?

Edit My Images
Yes
This is one of the images from todays shoot. I might have been working too much, but I just cannot decide if this is a keeper or not so I'm opening this up for general opinions.

Bluntness is appreciated. Out of a fair few pictures from today, this is the only one I'm unsure of. Sorry about the water mark but this might end up on sale so I have to.

It's been a long day and I think my brain is fried.

Basically, would this picture encourage you to eat wheat bisks? Mmmm yummy. lol.

View attachment 42776

Last edited:
Hi There.
I am not a photographer but like playing with the camera. I have only taken a few photos at home of food. In my opinion in answer to your question
would this picture encourage you to eat wheat bisks?
i'm afraid I would say no. Now I am trying to decide why, as clearly you know what you are doing with the camera.Tbh though it either makes you wanna eat it or not.I don't think the plate is a good shade for this and the light on the milk is not making it glisten enough maybe more milk in the bowl would have helped.
Like I say I am no expert so could be talking twaddle

Gaz

Last edited:
perhaps there needs to be something with the bisks, like some fruit (fresh or dried) or a sprinkling of sugar - I wouldn't eat them with just milk

Cheers guys, exactly the sort of response I was hoping for.

@cargo I cant put my finger on it either! But, theres something thats been bugging me too.

does the milk need to be being poured for the photo? maybe it can be a prepared bowl of bisks, ready to eat

having looked at the trailing dribbling milk, its just something a little unpleasant about it dribbling down the bisk...

I think the bowl being empty is one of the reasons it doesn't work.

I'd have had milk already in it and then also being poured, rather than pouring into a dry bowl.

I'd also say the white background doesn't work (unless that was your brief). It makes it too sterile. On a kitchen table would have been better.

I think the bowl being empty is one of the reasons it doesn't work.

I'd have had milk already in it and then also being poured, rather than pouring into a dry bowl.

I'd also say the white background doesn't work (unless that was your brief). It makes it too sterile. On a kitchen table would have been better.

Brief is isolation otherwise I agree. You're right, it is a bit sterile looking.

Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

Nay............bluntness provided. ;)

Considering how much trouble professional food togs go to to get the client the right image, I think you are on a hiding to nothing. Some would even pour white paint over the food and sit it in gloss white paint or yogurt if it looked good on the picture, and there are a lot of other factors about this picture, that need consideration some of which have already been alluded to here. If it were possible to just pour some milk over a bowl of WheatBisk, or whatever cereal, then Pro food togs would be out of a job.

Last edited:
The shot itself is ok. In my view the milk really needs to be white as currently it is a mucky orange. Also, i think a little more milk (or slightly different composition of milk on the cereal, difficult to achieve i know) as it sort of resembles milk following arousal - ahem. Apologies for the description.

Nay............bluntness provided. ;)

Considering how much trouble professional food togs go to to get the client the right image, I think you are on a hiding to nothing. Some would even pour white paint over the food and sit it in gloss white paint or yogurt if it looked good on the picture, and there are a lot of other factors about this picture, that need consideration some of which have already been alluded to here. If it were possible to just pour some milk over a bowl of WheatBisk, or whatever cereal, then Pro food togs would be out of a job.

So you dont like it then? :D

This wasn't a simple shot to achieve though, not by any means, even if the final result isn't perfect. To be honest, for this particular product, having looked around, I've struggled to find anything of the product isolated in this way that I'd say was great, even the manufacturers own images.

The shot itself is ok. In my view the milk really needs to be white as currently it is a mucky orange. Also, i think a little more milk (or slightly different composition of milk on the cereal, difficult to achieve i know) as it sort of resembles milk following arousal - ahem. Apologies for the description.

Mind me asking what colour temp your monitor is set at? With white on white, it's always a bit of a faff to balance the colours. On mine it looks creamy, not orange.

Mind me asking what colour temp your monitor is set at? With white on white, it's always a bit of a faff to balance the colours. On mine it looks creamy, not orange.

the pouring milk looks a bit orangey - but the milk on the bisk looks white, albeit what he said below........

I was alluding to that, but did not specifically mention, lol

the pouring milk looks a bit orangey - but the milk on the bisk looks white, albeit what he said below........

I was alluding to that, but did not specifically mention, lol

lol, I thought I had a terrible mind but you guys take the wheat bisk. :naughty:

Too wide a rim on the bowl, it's taking up too much of the image. Start with a breakfast tray, put the bowl on the tray and the spoon next to the bowl not in it. Pour the milk in the bowl and then place the bisks in the bowl being careful to keep the top of the bisks dry. Slice some fruit, bananas or strawbs and place a few on the top of the bisks. If it looks too plain you can decorate the tray with a morning newspaper or the milk jug but they would need to be secondary items so out of focus.

The whole image needs to be crisp and fresh looking as if it's a nice sunny spring morning...............as above your milk is not white enough and I'm not going to mention what the dribble looks like. :eek:

Right well one mystery solved. My monitor is out of calibration for some reason. Not by much, just a tad too much blue. Hopefully a correction makes the milk look a little less jizzlike.

It looks too dry and I hate that you cropped the plate!

Too wide a rim on the bowl, it's taking up too much of the image. Start with a breakfast tray, put the bowl on the tray and the spoon next to the bowl not in it. Pour the milk in the bowl and then place the bisks in the bowl being careful to keep the top of the bisks dry. Slice some fruit, bananas or strawbs and place a few on the top of the bisks. If it looks too plain you can decorate the tray with a morning newspaper or the milk jug but they would need to be secondary items so out of focus.

The whole image needs to be crisp and fresh looking as if it's a nice sunny spring morning...............as above your milk is not white enough and I'm not going to mention what the dribble looks like. :eek:

Cheers admirable, unfortunately it has to be the product in isolation rather than a "foody"/fully contextual shot so I'm a bit constrained.

It looks too dry and I hate that you cropped the plate!

lol. They are dry as hell for about 10 seconds then almost immediately turn soggy. They aren't appetising to me in any state really. Basically, they are not fun to eat or photograph. Give me frosties any day.

Well at least take the spoon out of the bowl, who has their spoon in the bowl when pouring the milk in?

lol. They are dry as hell for about 10 seconds then almost immediately turn soggy. They aren't appetising to me in any state really. Basically, they are not fun to eat or photograph. Give me frosties any day.

I eat two every morning with some milk and fruit, lovely!

although not my fav, I like them too!

but with milk not what has been mentioned in this thread :p my mother is on slimming world and soaks overnight with yofghurt and fruit

Not only have you cropped the left and bottom of the bowl, you've also cropped the right hand side of the spoon too. As a product shot this makes it virtually unusable.

Hmm. What makes you say that? Would you mind expanding on your point a little please?

Hmm. What makes you say that? Would you mind expanding on your point a little please?

The image can only be used as positioned in the shot. Give that to a graphic designer and they won't be able to use it on the top of the page as the bottom of the bowl is missing, so it will look odd (like there's a text box covering it). The same applies to using it on the right or left of a page. Unless your image is fully across the very bottom of any design with the text or other graphic elements placed above it, it won't work. Add to that the need to add an amount for bleed, that will reduce the area of the image that is useable and you will lose more of the bowl. Graphic designers don't work around images, they find images that work for the design they have in mind or images that give them the freedom to place the image where they want.

Does that make sense?

The image can only be used as positioned in the shot. Give that to a graphic designer and they won't be able to use it on the top of the page as the bottom of the bowl is missing, so it will look odd (like there's a text box covering it). The same applies to using it on the right or left of a page. Unless your image is fully across the very bottom of any design with the text or other graphic elements placed above it, it won't work. Add to that the need to add an amount for bleed, that will reduce the area of the image that is useable and you will lose more of the bowl. Graphic designers don't work around images, they find images that work for the design they have in mind or images that give them the freedom to place the image where they want.

Does that make sense?

Thanks Morbid, I agree. I think you've nailed what I couldn't see.

Thanks Morbid, I agree. I think you've nailed what I couldn't see.

HTH. Have a look on ShutterStock.com and search using 'Cereal Bowl Isolated' and that will give you some idea of what is expected in this type of shot. Your pic has the white background which is a plus point (you'll see how high the percentage of white background shots there are - it makes the shots easy to use as all to often the design will have a predominantly white background). Shoot a little wider, get everything in shot and leave the cropping to the graphic designer.

Mind me asking what colour temp your monitor is set at? With white on white, it's always a bit of a faff to balance the colours.

Shoot raw, use a grey card in a test shot, and use that as a WB reference. Problem solved, regardless of your monitor setting.

@yorkshirechap Why did you crop the bottom of the bowl?

Shoot raw, use a grey card in a test shot, and use that as a WB reference. Problem solved, regardless of your monitor setting.

@yorkshirechap Why did you crop the bottom of the bowl?

Not sure David, I just liked the way it made the subject more prominent I think, making other objects incidental to the cereal. Literally, a subtraction of the objects leaving only one whole. That sounds a bit arty farty, but there are billions of shots of bowls of cereal with everything in tact and on a table cloth etc.

Back