When It Doesn't Quite Go To Plan.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
They say only publish your best work and I'm sure we all try to. Hit rates can vary though, some times it's close to 100%, other times it can be dismal.

Wildlife has become a bit of an obsession for me lately and I don't mind landscaping too but I will try any genre but those are my 2 loves. With landscapes, hit rates can be high, even 100% as quite often, you may only take 1 or 2 images. With wildlife though, the hit rate is usually less, sometimes, you may only take a few images but others, it could be hundreds.

This gets me thinking, it might be helpful if we publish our non keepers in this thread, it could be a bit of fun but also, give the reasons why you think the image didn't work. Was it a settings thing, too slow a shutter speed, bad light, missed focus etc etc, maybe we can learn something too.

I'll go first, one from today.

My reasons for thinking (knowing in this case) why it didn't work. I'd been at the SEO site for most of the day, the light was fading, any usuable light for this was almost, if not gone. I was heading back to the car, about a 2 mile walk and almost back to it, within about 1/4 mile. I was a little frustrated too, I'd seen 2 owls flying about for most of the afternoon but they just wouldn't come close. It's an exact spot I've made work before but not today, which added to my frustration. Like I say, I was almost back to the car when I saw one land on a nearby dead tree. It was a good 200 metres away, no real chance of an image from that distance on full frame, so a bit of a stalk was called for. I managed to get within 15-20 metres of it and took a shot. I was a bit flustered after the approach, which involved crawling, some climbing through gorse and general out of breathedness. Also, 600mm is 6.3 on my lens, so ISO was at 6400 and I only got 50/sec, resulting in a soft and noisy as well as badly lit image.

So there's my excuse/reasons for this one not going to plan.

Over to you.

tp.jpg

Last edited:
They say only publish your best work and I'm sure we all try to. Hit rates can vary though, some times it's close to 100%, other times it can be dismal.

Wildife has become a bit of an obsession for me lately but I don't mind landscaping too but I will try any genre but those are my 2 loves. With landscapes, hit rates can be high, even 100% as quite often, you may only take 1 or 2 images. With wildlife though, the hit rate is usually less, sometimes, you may only take a few images but others, it could be hundreds.

This gets me thinking, it might be helpful if we publish our non keeprs in this thread, it could be a bit of fun but also, give the resons why you think the image didn't work. Was it a settings thing, too slow a shutter speed, bad light, missed focus etc etc, maybe we can learn something too.

I'll go first, one from today.

My reasons for thinking (knowing in this case) why it didn't work. I'd been at the SEO site for most of the day, the light was fading, any usuable light for this was almost, if not gone. I was heading back to the car, about a 2 mile walk and almost back to it, within about 1/4 mile. I was a little frustrated too, I'd seen 2 owls flying about for most of the afternoon but they just wouldn't come close. It's an exact spot I've made work before but not today, which added to my frustration. Like I say, I was almost back to the car when saw one land on a nearby dead tree. It was a good 200 meters away, no real chance of an image from that distance on full frame, so a bit of a stalk was called for. I manged to get within 15-20 metres of it and took a shot. I was a bit flustered after the approach, which involved crawling, some climbing through gorse and general out of breathedness. Also, 600mm is 6.3 on my lens, so ISO was at 6400 and I only got 50/sec, resulting in a soft and noisy as well as badly lit image.

So there's my excuse/reasons for this one not going to plan.

Over to you.

View attachment 235546
Subscribed

Back