When showjumping goes wrong

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Attended an equestrian mixed-event yesterday. I normally dont photograph falls as they dont tend to sell and just adds more work to an already fully recorded day, but for a personal record, I did photograph one (the only one of the day as well) and plopped it into a panoramic image as a story board of the incident.

I dont know how people just "get back on the horse" after a fall - they have to hurt most parts of the body, especially the back and shoulders. If I rode a horse, it would probably be wearing an american-style football armour. I think show jumpers are crazy and a fall is nothing to do with their skill in handling the horse but more of whether the horse "wants" to participate. There was one horse who just flatly refused to do any jumps, putting on the breaks at every opportune moment.

Fall - that has got to hurt by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

You seriously need to get your white balance sorted out; ie calibrate your monitor.

You are producing the exact same colour cast in every set that you present.

Oh and another thing...

For a variety of reasons, always, always photograph falls.

You seriously need to get your white balance sorted out; ie calibrate your monitor.

my monitor is calibrated, (spyder4elite) I shot in RAW so its probably something I've done in processing, though the scene looks pretty much exactly like it did on the day. The grass was bright green, harsh sunlight. Can you let me know what you're seeing that I am missing? Cheers (y)

A massive green cast on all the images. Not just in these, but in other sets you've posted. Others have commented on it as well.

If the cast is green, I am not seeing it in the riders number or on the horse's white nose. Whilst there is a green cast on say one of the duckling sets, the rock gig, is obviously not and therefore I wouldn't say it necessarily pervades all other sets posted.

YMMV

(Mine is calibrated with an x-rite i1 Display Pro).

Last edited:
Attended an equestrian mixed-event yesterday. I normally dont photograph falls as they dont tend to sell and just adds more work to an already fully recorded day, but for a personal record, I did photograph one (the only one of the day as well) and plopped it into a panoramic image as a story board of the incident.

I dont know how people just "get back on the horse" after a fall - they have to hurt most parts of the body, especially the back and shoulders. If I rode a horse, it would probably be wearing an american-style football armour. I think show jumpers are crazy and a fall is nothing to do with their skill in handling the horse but more of whether the horse "wants" to participate. There was one horse who just flatly refused to do any jumps, putting on the breaks at every opportune moment.

Fall - that has got to hurt by Carl Harrison, on Flickr
These are my wife's ribs (6 broken) after a fall and she was wearing a body protector.
She also had a haematoma on her spleen and a punctured lung.
This is what they look like 4yrs later, Joined but wonky
20160516_201048.jpg

Last edited:
Could I ask one of you chaps/ladies (if there are any ladies) who photograph these events for a living to PM me please. I shoot and print at events and I have some questions that are business related, but I dont want to post them in the business section, just a quiet chat about something that is bugging me at my events. Thanks! :)

Could I ask one of you chaps/ladies (if there are any ladies) who photograph these events for a living to PM me please. I shoot and print at events and I have some questions that are business related, but I dont want to post them in the business section, just a quiet chat about something that is bugging me at my events. Thanks! :)

Go on then...

Back