When Time Stands Still

Outrageously charming and
masterfully rendered! (y)(y)

I'm always drawn to these they look great. This seems really dark obviously because you wanted it that way and thats just fine because it works .

Well done.

Gaz

I'm always drawn to these they look great. This seems really dark obviously because you wanted it that way and thats just fine because it works .

Well done.

Gaz

I am, some would say unfortunately, drawn to the dark side...

Thanks Gary, glad you feel it works.

I like it. It does work dark like that, but I'd be interested try out a version with more colour.
I'd also want to put the couple in the centre.

But that's just me ;)

Works for me Sir, great idea & well executed.(y)

George.

Great shot, very creative and well executed

I like it. It does work dark like that, but I'd be interested try out a version with more colour.
I'd also want to put the couple in the centre.

But that's just me ;)

Thanks Alistair, more colour? Heresy! As for placing the couple in the centre, the obvious choice true, which is why they aren't :)

Thanks Alistair, more colour? Heresy! As for placing the couple in the centre, the obvious choice true, which is why they aren't :)
It's your image ;)

I would probably have shot a centred version as well then compared the two to see which worked better *for me*.
But it's your shot, I can see the strength in that positioning.

The title says it all, well done. If it was me I would have cropped about a third of the top and left side, but the scene lends itself to many variations. Again, well done.

The title says it all, well done. If it was me I would have cropped about a third of the top and left side, but the scene lends itself to many variations. Again, well done.

Thank you Duncan, yes i agree it would probably work just as well with that suggestion, appreciate the feedback. I'll explain my reasons for the asymmetric composition next.

It's your image ;)

I would probably have shot a centred version as well then compared the two to see which worked better *for me*.

What makes you think I didn't Alistair? Perhaps my reply to you was a little flippant. Let me fully explain my thinking on creating this shot. The framing of the shot was carefully considered. I was using a tripod for the long exposure and the couple needed to be frozen during exposure. The first framing was the obvious one of centre stage for the couple. However, I didn't really want this shot to be all about the couple. It's not really a portrait of them. (If it was I could have used short DoF and made a pretty couple portrait easily enough) what I was after was more a street scene atmosphere in which they are a part off, almost seen accidentally. As if a viewer was looking at some street scene and caught a brief sight of a little 'moment' between a couple. In life, a viewer might be slightly uncomfortable to stare or be intrusive upon such a moment. So by placing them off centre compositionaly the vanishing point then is behind the couple and the main emphasise is more on the street scene. But the couple still draw the eye. So there is an intentional compositional conflict. Centre stage composition just looked and felt very static and less visually interesting. It became a straight couple shot and I quickly abandoned it for this. Hope this helps understand what I was trying to achieve!

..... I didn't really want this shot to be all about the couple. It's not really a portrait of them....... what I was after was more a street scene atmosphere in which they are a part off, almost seen accidentally....
Knowing what you were trying to achieve helps.
I saw it as a portrait of a couple in a busy street scene and looking it that way, it seemed rather dark and odd that the main area of colour was the red lanterns and that the couple we're centre stage.
But knowing your intention it now makes more sense; the scene, their placement, the colouring...

Maybe I was thinking a bit too conventionally. ;)

Fantastic, I love that.

Knowing what you were trying to achieve helps.
I saw it as a portrait of a couple in a busy street scene and looking it that way, it seemed rather dark and odd that the main area of colour was the red lanterns and that the couple we're centre stage.
But knowing your intention it now makes more sense; the scene, their placement, the colouring...

Maybe I was thinking a bit too conventionally. ;)

It was an experiment and actually I agree it hasn't quite worked and don't think it's the best thing since sliced bread, but it's a learning process... Next time!

Back