When you've found somewhere

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
.......that you like, do you keep going back?

Sunday night was too lovely to stay in, and I wanted to check out a lens I've just sold before shipping it. So we walked on the footpath I discovered a copuple of weeks ago across the fields to a hamlet called Barford St.Michael, getting stung a few times on the way and generally enjoying the clear evening sunlight. The lens (an old Sigma 28-200 compact zoom) seems OK for what it is too.

Towards Barford St.Michael-1123 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Towards Barford St.Michael-1127 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Towards Barford St.Michael-1130 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Towards Barford St.Michael-1132 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Towards Barford St.Michael-1134 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

C&C welcome

.that you like, do you keep going back?

Oooh yes… because it is not only the subject but also — and
more importantly — the light that falls on it.

Very dynamic leading lines, Toni, but why did you render these
with different tonal values and WB?

I love the last for its closer details. (y)

but why did you render these with different tonal values and WB?

Partly changing light through a relatively short space of time, but probably more to do with sloppiness & trying to get them completed before doing something else. I realised they were different after I posted them, but too late by then. :(

Yes, Toni.

Heraclitus ( https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Heraclitus ) is credited with the quote, 'You cannot step into the same river twice'.

I think this is applicable to landscape (and some other genres too) photography.

You cannot photography the same scene twice. There is always change - time, weather, vegetation, light - and going back to somewhere is without, I hope, of sounding too pretentious, a way of understanding/appreciating the area.

Dave

BTW 2, 4 and 5 are excellent shots.

Yes, Toni.

Heraclitus ( https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Heraclitus ) is credited with the quote, 'You cannot step into the same river twice'.

I think this is applicable to landscape (and some other genres too) photography.

You cannot photography the same scene twice. There is always change - time, weather, vegetation, light - and going back to somewhere is without, I hope, of sounding too pretentious, a way of understanding/appreciating the area.

Dave

BTW 2, 4 and 5 are excellent shots.

Thank you - you've given me something to chew over too.

I do go back to places because the lighting can be different, the sky can be different and there's always a different composition or focal length to try. It sometimes helps to have a break from somewhere that you feel like you've photographed too many times and then go back when you haven't been for a while.

I do go back to places because the lighting can be different, the sky can be different and there's always a different composition or focal length to try. It sometimes helps to have a break from somewhere that you feel like you've photographed too many times and then go back when you haven't been for a while.

The different sky & light is why I keep going back here at the moment. I first saw this area with strong incident light while driving past, and each time I've visited the light and shadows have been quite different. I have definitely over-shot the valley where we live, and only rarely take pictures there now, even though it's lovely and it's close.

Back