East Anglia Where best to see the night sky in Norfolk?

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
March next year we are off to Swanton Abbot in Norfolk for a few days in a cottage in the middle of nowhere. Being from the South East, not far outside London this is probably my best opportunity to properly see the night sky, looking at light pollution maps the are looks hopeful, with the even darker north coast being only an hours drive away.

However the one thing I don't want to do is waste the opportunity by doing a half arse job of pointing the lens to the sky and coming away with dull images. So not knowing the area myself I am hoping for some suggestions of locations that might provide interesting landscape of foreground interest for some night sky photos, what have you got? :D

norfolk.JPG

Tricky, this involves people knowing the night sky in March and the directions of constellations compared to locations. I suggest you have a look at Alyn Wallace's vlogs about planning for astrophotography and otherwise scout your own locations in daylight and use an app to overlay the night sky against them. There's plenty of windpumps in the Broads, a few mills on the North Coast and there's lots of sea defences, but very difficult to be specific about what will work. Getting to know places is always the key I think

One thing Norfolk has in abundance is flint churches.
Bound to be several near you.

The villages do not have street lights and most people will be in bed by 9.00pm !
Take a head torch.

Last edited:
Kelling Heath near Sheringham, listed on your map, near the Norfolk coast is a place many of the star watchers go.

Back