where can I get Photo Frames

Edit My Images
No
HI
I am looking for photo frames to house photos of 9 inch by 6 inch size. I would prefer mounts in them but am not fussed. Colour can be white, black or brown (like walnut). I like ikea type frames but I couldn't find that size on their website (unless I missed it completely).
Thanks

never thought of that. Thank you. Actually that site also does frame with mounts custom size.

Last edited:
I like Ikea frames, you can get separate mounts for some sizes.

After a fire at home last year I decided to treat myself to a Matt or mount cutter. I've not had chance to try it yet as places like Hobbycraft where you can get Matt board from are all closed.

I got a load of nice Matt grey frames for what is now my hobby room and I'm going to print some of my favourite black and white photographs for them.

try here
https://www.dunelm.com/search?q=photographic+photo+frames
Can't find 9x6" on here either, thing you might have an odd size picture, you may have to go up a size. If you do nothing to stop you putting a backing on first then your picture on top. You would have then a surround for the photo maybe add a design as an edging???

Last edited:
Most towns still have 'Framing' shops and general 'Photo/Printing' shops.
My small town, under 10k population, has one of each. The small shops often do what big shops don't do....and at reasonable prices.
I cut my own mounts to suit the frame sizes.

Last edited:
Most towns still have 'Framing' shops and general 'Photo/Printing' shops.
My small town, under 10k population, has one of each. The small shops often do what big shops don't do....and at reasonable prices.
I cut my own mounts to suit the frame sizes.

Where do you get your mount card from ?

I'm in Manchester so a bit too far away. know Hobbycraft do a great range but they aren't doing on line and as far as I know they are still closed.

Just something to be aware of!

Most(?) budget frames e.g. IKEA that have plastic glazing will be fitted with Styrene. IMO where possible choose a range and/supplier that explicitly states that the glazing is Acrylic. Of which the standard thickness AFAIK 2mm thick, if ordered online and again AFAIK many suppliers offer upgraded versions such as 99% UV blocking and anti-reflection.

But as in all things......you pays your money and make your choice.

Last edited:
Just something to be aware of!

Most(?) budget frames e.g. IKEA that have plastic glazing will be fitted with Styrene. IMO where possible choose a range and/supplier that explicitly states that the glazing is Acrylic. Of which the standard thickness AFAIK 2mm thick, if ordered online and again AFAIK many suppliers offer upgraded versions such as 99% UV blocking and anti-reflection.

But as in all things......you pays your money and make your choice.

what difference would Styrene and Acrylic make?

what difference would Styrene and Acrylic make?
In general terms very little but if you want a 'better'(?) look then Acrylic because it is more scratch resistant and even in its standard form AFAIK offers better UV protection than Styrene. I have some larger IKEA Ribba frames with Styrene and older ones that are glass glazed. But as mentioned in my post #16 above frames I have been buying are all Acrylic glazed, though this was/is with the intention of framed print sales at an exhibition ;)

PS found this summary:-
Styrene glazing
Styrene glazing is the cheapest option. It is a lightweight product, which allows for low-cost transport and shipping.
Styrene is a shatter-resistant material, which is ideal for situations where safety needs to be considered, such as hospitals and primary schools.
Acrylic glazing
Acrylic is similar to Styrene in its lightweight and shatter-resistant properties, allowing for easy transport with the assurance of safety.
Acrylic, however, provides a ranging level of UV protection for your artwork, with some offering up to UV filtering of 99% to protect your work from fading. Acrylic will also stay cleaner for longer compared to styrene.

In general terms very little but if you want a 'better'(?) look then Acrylic because it is more scratch resistant and even in its standard form AFAIK offers better UV protection than Styrene. I have some larger IKEA Ribba frames with Styrene and older ones that are glass glazed. But as mentioned in my post #16 above frames I have been buying are all Acrylic glazed, though this was/is with the intention of framed print sales at an exhibition ;)

PS found this summary:-
Styrene glazing
Styrene glazing is the cheapest option. It is a lightweight product, which allows for low-cost transport and shipping.
Styrene is a shatter-resistant material, which is ideal for situations where safety needs to be considered, such as hospitals and primary schools.
Acrylic glazing
Acrylic is similar to Styrene in its lightweight and shatter-resistant properties, allowing for easy transport with the assurance of safety.
Acrylic, however, provides a ranging level of UV protection for your artwork, with some offering up to UV filtering of 99% to protect your work from fading. Acrylic will also stay cleaner for longer compared to styrene.

thank you for the explanation. I am looking to hang some 9x6 prints around the house. the easyframe website you recommended looks good. I need to decide now whether to get everything from them or ikea frames and mounts separately. Also have about 15 prints to hang so don't really want to for our £300 odd on frames.

Fred Aldous in Manchester are doing click and collect now.
I realise this thread is a little old now so you may well have sorted this now. I bought mount board there lots of times.

Gaz

Back