Undecided where to go?

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
Some advice from you good folks please.
I am looking to plan my holidays and want to plan it around a landscape photography break. My situation is that I will be on my own caravaning with my greyhound. We are both pensioners, I am reasonably active and don't mind longish walks over rugged terrain however my dog is a retired racer who suffers from arthritis. This means no long (over 20 mins) walks or difficult terrain, no cliff edges, mountain hikes or dangerous ledges, basically nothing that could cause him harm if I take my eyes off him.
Having said that I am flexible about where and when we go. I live in Hampshire so Scotland is probably a bit ambitious but Yorkshire or the Lakes would be achievable. I would also be happy with Wales, North or South. Devon & Cornwall are probably off limits as they are mainly clifftops (happy to be corrected). I will probably be away for 10 - 14 days. Suggestions for locations would be appreciated.

Lincolnshire wolds are very accessible with tea/coffee available at no more than 15 minute intervals. Not dramatic like some places but lots of nestling villages, very old churches and endless fields of grain.

Yorkshire Dales sounds just about perfect. So much variety and all readily accessible. Dog friendly. Accommodation for caravans is plentiful. Food and drink in abundance.
Almost impossible to see everything in one visit. I've been going 40 years and still haven't seen it all!!!

I had a feeling the Yorkshire Dales may come up, I have never been there but it sounds good to me. Thanks for your suggestions.

The Yorkshire Dales are vast and varied. Very beautiful as well. You have Castles and ruined Abbeys plus waterfalls in abundance, picturesque villages everywhere. Look up Mallham cove, Mallham Tarn, Goredale Scar, Wensleydale, Bolton Abbey, Swaledale, Grassington, Burnsal, Pately Bridge, Semmerwater, Hawes, Leyburn, The Buttertubs, Ribblehead Viaduct with its Steam trains that i think still run every Wednesday on there way from Settle to Carlisle. The list could go on and on,
Spend a couple of hours looking up this list. It will be worth it.

I had a feeling the Yorkshire Dales may come up, I have never been there but it sounds good to me. Thanks for your suggestions.

I would have to second the Yorkshire Dales suggestion. As I’m currently babysitting two greyhounds and the limitations to the amount of walking you can achieve with your hound.
The guide in the following link may be of use to you. The author also has guides to other area of the UK but the link is to his Yorkshire guide. I hope this helps.

http://www.f22.org.uk/Articles/LazyPhotographer/LazyPhotographer02-YorkshireDales.htm

A couple more - Malvern Hills and Shropshire.

Dave

I would have to second the Yorkshire Dales suggestion. As I’m currently babysitting two greyhounds and the limitations to the amount of walking you can achieve with your hound.
The guide in the following link may be of use to you. The author also has guides to other area of the UK but the link is to his Yorkshire guide. I hope this helps.

http://www.f22.org.uk/Articles/LazyPhotographer/LazyPhotographer02-YorkshireDales.htm
Great guide thank you. The Yorkshire Dales are getting a lot of "Thumbs Up" which is great but all of the other suggestions are useful for planning other visits through the year. It is my hope that, as I am retired, I can do a good few of these trips throughout the year.

Don't forget the Peak District :)

greyhounds if use to it will walk distance but not if its hot. They have very little bodyfat so cant regulate temperature easily compared to other dogs, It is also why they have winter coats and pyjamas.
Mine and several of his friends will comfortably walk 3 miles if it s below 20C. and thats off lead. 5 miles is the most we have done. Weather like we are currently having means early walks and not too far.
Was surprised how mountain goat like mine was in the Lakes although we were not scrambling to the top of Scarfell.

I would not be too bothered with any of the waterfalls in the dales at the moment, asgarth and Harddraw are both a shadow of their best with limted flow

Last edited:
Whilst I would also recommend the Yorkshire Dales, a place I visit regularly, with a two week break I would be tempted to drive another hour and get to the Lake District as there are plenty of walks and photographic opportunities up that way.

Maybe even consider a two centre break ?

Devon & Cornwall are probably off limits as they are mainly clifftops (happy to be corrected.
There are some very interesting places in Devon without cliffs. :D

East and South Devon have plenty of low lying coastline for the odd seashore with some amazing agricultural landscapes within four or five miles. Further inland there are the 3 moors: Dartmoor in the middle of Devon; Exmoor to the north and Woodbury Common to the east. There are plenty of caravan sites so you could plan to move around between them if that's how you like to do things.

I'd recommend the Lake District wholeheartedly, the reason being there are so many locations with easy access and if conditions are favourable you can often shoot from the roadside, or take short walks to get a bit higher up the fells. About three years ago, in early November, there were mists almost every morning I was there, it was almost like shooting fish in a barrel around the Langdale area, for little physical effort. There are many lakeside paths which are easy walking. Rydal is very nice, Derwent Water, you could take a steamer on Ullswater - great views from the lake and they sometimes do specific photography cruises (they also allow dogs).

I also like the suggestion of the Lincolnshire Wolds, an area close to me. I was out near Oxcombe last night (that probably doesn't mean anything to anyone!) and only met a few farmers in their tractors - it really is a hidden gem, you hardly meet anyone else so it's great if you like the solitude. The Wolds are looking at their best right now as the fields are full of ripe corn and the harvest is well underway, hay bales are giving way to straw bales from the harvest. I adore it out there, it can be a little tricky to photograph but if you like rural scenes you can get some beautiful pictures with the crops or bales as your focal point. The Bluestone Heath Road area near Cadwell Park is great, nearby is Red Hill Nature Reserve with hawthorn trees and expansive views, Ruckland has steep rolling countryside and a tiny hidden church with lovely views, also Goulceby has some great walking along little waterways along the Viking Way. The Nettleton, Tealby and Walesby areas also along the Viking Way would surprise you, Lincolnshire isn't all flat, and there's a great view of the Ramblers Church from the top of the hill at Walesby, you can see Lincoln Cathedral from there on a clear day. Just be aware that the hare coursing season will be commencing soon and with a greyhound you might get some suspicious looks from country folk!

Dorset's not too far away and there are plenty of places to photograph without the perilous descents and climbs as you may find in North Devon & Cornwall.

No ones mentioned the peaks

Back