Where to photograph Kingfishers London/Kent UK

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I am in the process of planning my summer 2019 holidays and would like to get a good photograph of a Kingfisher. Ideally with little travel from South East London.
I think the London Wetland Center is probably the best place, any other ideas? (Other bird photography recommendations apart from Little Owls - I have loads of photos of them - gratefully received)

I can't remember what it's called but there is a good rspb reserve North of London.
I moved away in 2013 but they did have a breeding pair of kingfishers.
You'll need a long lens as they pirched quite a distance fron the hide and my 100-400 didn't have enough reach.

I can't remember what it's called but there is a good rspb reserve North of London.
I moved away in 2013 but they did have a breeding pair of kingfishers.
You'll need a long lens as they pirched quite a distance fron the hide and my 100-400 didn't have enough reach.
Thank you although I was hoping South of London but still useful.

Wakehurst Place, and surprisingly, the River Wandle in Beddington Park, Wallington - the stretch close to the Dovecot/Carew Manor. Only seen one there, and went through like a blue flash of lightning, but clearly around. Happy to mark up a map to show you were I saw it if any good to you?

Last edited:
Wakehurst Place, and surprisingly, the River Wandle in Beddington Park, Wallington - the stretch close to the Dovecot/Carew Manor. Only seen one there, and went through like a blue flash of lightning, but clearly around. Happy to mark up a map to show you were I saw it if any good to you?
That would be really useful, but no hurry this is a project for next summer.

Not sure where you are in SE London but I have seen a Kingfisher in Kelsey Park in Beckenham. There are meant to be some on the river pool in Lewisham also I believe

I think the RSBP reserve north of London that hashcake is thinking of is Rye Meads, the breeding pair raised three broods there this year, he's right about lens's 600mm is only just long enough.

There used to be a lot down Dartford lakes. Not far from the dreaded crossing ;)

I'm in a local FB group in SE London and people keep photographing Kingfishers at Hall Place in Bexley. There's a permanent hide there too. Lullingstone Country Park is rumoured to have Kingfishers along the river, but I've not personally seen them at either place.

Another place just north of the river is Rainham Marshes - always a pretty good bird count.

Dave

I think the RSBP reserve north of London that hashcake is thinking of is Rye Meads, the breeding pair raised three broods there this year, he's right about lens's 600mm is only just long enough.

That's the one :)

I've only just remembered this thread @davholla ...anyway Iposted this in the M4/3 Oly thread: I've just discovered Brookmill Park in Lewisham, and have seen Kingfishers both days I have been (yesterday and today - staying there around an hour each time).

Basically there are meant to be some if you follow the River Pool or River Ravensbourne from Brookmill down to Ladywell Fields and Beckenham Place Park (I've never seen any in the latter two, but normally there with my kids who are not quiet).

You might find this article useful:

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/...-to-show-off-the-beauty-of-south-east-london/

Friday Kingfisher

Kingfisher_ by alligator1975, on Flickr

Saturday (too far away but here you go)

OI000468 by alligator1975, on Flickr

Thank you very much, I will try that next summer. I actually live near part of the
Ravensbourne (but not where there is any wildlife).

Back