Which 1.4x Extender/Teleconverter?

Edit My Images
Yes
I own a Canon 20D and amongst other lenses, the weighty, but very splendid, white 70-200 L f2.8 IS :).

Having flogged my old 75-300USM IS (which up at the 300 end was about as sharp as a teddybears bum :crying:) in order to get the afformentioned . I find that I do miss the extra 100mm so am seriously considering getting an Extender/Teleconverter. Not having the
muscles or bank ballance to go and get the another (L?) series lens.

Options appear to be:
  • Canon x1.4 , x2.0
  • Sigma x1.4 , x2.0
  • Kenko x1.5 (nah?) , x1.4pro , x2.0pro , x3.0pro

I've read reviews that the canon x2.0 loses some of the sharpness that I(we?) crave. Hence am assuming that the Sigma and Kenko x2.0 have similar failings?

So looking at the 1.4x's available, which to go for?
Anything that I should know about / avoid?

Cheers

Finally, vaguely interesting , from a "how long!!" perspective, is the x3.0pro which would give 960mm effective @f8max. Though I suspect this is not a sensible option.

I've just ordered the 1.4x & 2x Canon TC's from Kerso to fit in with my long term plan of shortly picking up the same lens you're looking at. In the shops the Canon ones go at around £229 but Kerso can knock a bit off that - if you can then get your mits on a Canon cashback voucher (some kind soul on here will probably have one up for grabs - mine are now spoken for!) you can then get another £35 of either (or both, with both vouchers!).

By the time the cashback is taken into account, I will have got mine for £310 the pair, delivered. I was originally considering the Sigma version but on thinking through the figures and bases on the price above, there was no real decision to make in the end as the resale value on the Canon ones should I ever have to part with them will be so much higher.

I've just got the Canon 1.4 tc from Kerso for use with my 100-400L. You do lose the af capabilities with this combination, but there is a little trick of sticking some tape over 3 of the pins on the tc, it seems to work.... Hopefully I'll get to try it out this weekend.

Mike

Cheers all.
You seem to be confirming my thoughts, but I'd be interested to find out if anyone has views on the non canon tc's

Paul

I've got a kenko 1.4 pro which I use with my 70-200 f/4 and the image quality is amazing. I never worry about using it when I need the extra reach.

Get the Canon x1.4 that way you will get the weather sealing (probably not such an issue at the moment but maybe in the future) - also the quality will be inline with the lens your using it on. Use one myself and the focus speed and quality are barely affected + you still have a very respectable low aperture setting of f4.

Regarding the x2 - after everything I've heard I wouldnt bother with that one, the loss of quality is reported as being quite substantial, plus the slowdown in focus speed. I would only use a 2x as an absolute last resort, but best avoided.

I've got the 2x (Mk2) and it's okay but I'll do some photos this week and post next week to show.

Carl.

Id go for Canon 1.4x II and Canon 2.0xII make sure you get the MKII version for the 2.0 as it had quite a bit of optical upgades done.

I have just got the 2.8 Sigma and have been using a Kenco 1.4x on it so results have been posted. Money no object I would match extender with lens. Will try my 2x if the weather gets briighter but little decent light since i got the sigma - at least when I was not under orders!

I've got the 2x (Mk2) and it's okay but I'll do some photos this week and post next week to show.

Carl.

You say "okay" by that do you mean ... it could be better?
I'd kinda like to have both, but how much do you lose with the 2x. Your opinion would be greatly valued

Cheers

Paul

if you can then get your mits on a Canon cashback voucher (some kind soul on here will probably have one up for grabs - mine are now spoken for!) you can then get another £35 of either (or both, with both vouchers!).

I've got/had some cashback offers but they expired in Dec.2005 are you saying that there are some newer ones out there or that Canon are honouring these?

iirc Matty had the 2.0x Sigma and it was crud compared to the 1.4x

I have the 1.4x sigma which i stick on the 70-200 f2.8 ex thingybob and it's still pretty sharp.

Id go for Canon 1.4x II and Canon 2.0xII make sure you get the MKII version for the 2.0 as it had quite a bit of optical upgades done.

Ditto and don't forget the weather sealing with the Canon TCs..;)

I asked the question a while back as to whether I would be disappointed when I came to use a 2x on the 70-200mm - the response as I recall was basically that as the comparison point for me would be with a poorer quality lens in any case (Sigma 70-300mm - and poorer compared to the L lens I'm looking at buying, not that I'm suggesting the Sigma is a rubbbish lens cos it's not!) I'd probably not have a problem. It's the only way I'll be able to use the new lens on the terraces at Speedway anyhow so I've gone for it! As I mentioned above I took the plunge and got the two together as I had a cashback voucher to use. The weather sealing was also a consideration for me - once I have the tc's and the new lens then the only weak spot will be the camera....I'll have to start saving again and maybe go for the upgrade on that NEXT winter! ;)

Some other details:

Kenko TCs will fit on any lens, and unlike others do not report their presence to the camera (so no details in EXIF data, and with some lenses will fool the AF into operating as the camera does not realize the lost stops).

Sigma and Canon TCs both have protruding front elements and so will not fit all lenses.

Sigma has a compatibility list while Canon explains compatible lenses on it's site.

The Teleconvertor FAQ on POTN is pretty useful explaining the differences and with more detail on using Sigma lenses with Canon TCs and vice versa.

Michael.

Mij. If I'd seen that earlier then this thread would probably not have been.
It covers all I want to know and more.

Ok I've gone for the canon 1.4 (from Kerso... his prices are best, so he must be laughing all the way to the bank)

It's arrived! :woot:
Now all I need is a sunny day and and..... and... that'll be next april then :crying:

I imagine I'll have a play soon when this bl**ted fog lifts.

Back