Which 2nd body?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok I have a Canon 7D Mk2, and am looking to get a second body, as I've started doing a little sports paid work now, so I need to cover possible equipment failure.

With a budget of around £800-£1000 now, do I go for a second 7D2 or maybe a 1D MkIV, both secondhand obviously.

Any thoughts?

There are plenty of good condition 1D4s knocking around and it makes a good companion to the 7D2. I love the feel of a 1D4 and don't see too much difference in image quality between the two bodies. I've used them in tandem for several years doing different sports. Give one a try and you'll buy one I'm sure.

As much as the 1DIV is a great camera, Canon are taking it off the service list in June. I'd avoid it for that reason.

Thanks for the info/opinions guys, I think I'm agreeing with you Mark, and I'll probably be looking for a another 7DII

I do a lot of sport and have both the 1D4 and 7D2. Which I reach for first as a primary and which is a secondary depends on various factors, sometimes I prefer the benefits of the x1.6 crop sensor over the x1.3, other times I prefer the 1D4.

If you are happy with the 7D2, then that is an ideal camera, you get the benefits of instant familiarity, plus shared battery pool.

Purely from a practical/ergonomic reason, I'd go for a second 7D2 so I could swap seamlessly from one to the other without needing to think about which button does what.

I have a 1dx2 and I'd be hard pressed to say it was much better than a 7d2. Yes it shoots at 14fps and is possibly 1.5 stops better regarding iso noise.

I'd go for another 7d2. At least all your batteries and your grips will be interchangeable.
I don't know how old the 1d4 is and how long canon will support it for either.

Personally for sports I’ve always gone for the 1D series mainly for their build quality, built in grip, weatherproofing and sensor size (1.3).I’ve had two in the past and never let me down. In fact I’ve just replaced my 2nd/back up body this week so if the 1DMK4 is your choice it’s now listed in the for section.

Back