which geared head?

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to give macro another go but only have ball heads, so i've been looking around at various macro posts and have come to the conclusion either a Manfrotto 410 junior or the Benro GD3WH would suit my needs.
Questions are; which to go for?
Second hand would be best, a few Manfrottos about, but not many Benro's.
I'm not in a rush so i'll be following the classifieds and ebay etc
Any advice on the above two heads?
Carlo

No experience of the Benro as I use a Manfrotto ( it is heavy but rock solid )

Also don't know the Benro but I have been using the 410 for about 15 years, it's a brilliant head. Old, hard worked ones can develop a bit of play so check it out well before buying or ask the question.

I always liked the 410 but I belive Manfrotto do a lightweight geared head now as well. Park Cameras have the 410 at £189 which looks like a price to me. MPB have a used 410.

I tried the lightweight Manfroto and handed it straight back. On the other hand, I'm very pleased with the 405...

Manfrotto geared head GX7 P1140498.JPG

I have the 410, but don't like the quick release and prefer an Arca Swiss, so I shall be selling it very soon in order to replace with the Benro.

I have the Benro. Bought it from Move Shoot Move (astro tracking mount supplier) as they were the cheapest I could find new. £142. I like it. The safety "latch" on the clamp is a bit irritating, but will probably save me one day!

I have the Benro. Bought it from Move Shoot Move (astro tracking mount supplier) as they were the cheapest I could find new. £142. I like it. The safety "latch" on the clamp is a bit irritating, but will probably save me one day!

There seems to be a lot of issues regarding stock of the benro atm, Brexit eh!
Watching a few used 410’s so I’ll see what happens

Old, hard worked ones can develop a bit of play so check it out well before buying or ask the question.

The play can usually be adjusted out relatively easily so if the price is right don’t necessarily rule it out for this as long as it’s not excessive :)

I absolutely love my 410 head. I currently use it on a 441 carbon fibre tripod and it's about the right weight with that combination. I also have a 144 BIRD tripod (with leg warmers) and a 488 ball head that is strictly for a spotting scope. I often wonder what the BIRD and 410 would be like together (heavy!) but I just love the control that the tri axis knobs allow. I've been using it for twenty years and I personally would go for this every time.

Reactions: Sky
I shoot macro handheld.
I like my Benro geared fir landscapes though.

For macro get the Manfrotto 410.

It's solid, gives you micro control on 3 axis and just works. If you want ultimate control then combine it with a geared tripod that allows you to incrementally raise or lower the centre post. On the tripod head mount an iShoot 4 way focusing rail:

s-l1600.jpg

You now have complete and micro incremental control of every axis. I've been using this system for years and I wouldn't use anything else.

Last edited:
For macro get the Manfrotto 410 (NOT the junior).

The 410 IS the Junior

The other Manfrotto geared heads are the 405 Geared Head, and the 400 Studio Geared head.
They also have an XPro Geared head, but when I looked at one in a shop it lacked the absolute rigidity of the other geared heads - which defeats the purpose.

The 410 IS the Junior

The other Manfrotto geared heads are the 405 Geared Head, and the 400 Studio Geared head.
They also have an XPro Geared head, but when I looked at one in a shop it lacked the absolute rigidity of the other geared heads - which defeats the purpose.

You're right, I'm going senile. It's been a while since I bought this one but if I now remember right Manfrotto released a new version and it was seriously rubbish compared to the original? I was thinking that was the junior version but obviously not.

Edit: I think it was the Manfrotto XPRO that used to get slaughtered for being too unstable for macro?

Last edited:
You're right, I'm going senile.

You and me both - I just spent ages trying to track down the MN410 ( which I thought was an older model ) before realising it is the same as the 410 junior. The fact that the spares catalogue only listed the latter sort of gave the game away

Last edited by a moderator:
You can change the top to arca swiss.

Thanks Graham, I looked into this last year when I converted a ball head, but there were two problems. The first was the cost - it was almost the price of the Benro head and the second was that I couldn't find a UK seller, so would have had to pay even more in postage and import duty etc. to get it from the US. :confused:

Thanks Graham, I looked into this last year when I converted a ball head, but there were two problems. The first was the cost - it was almost the price of the Benro head and the second was that I couldn't find a UK seller, so would have had to pay even more in postage and import duty etc. to get it from the US. :confused:

I use the Hejnar Photo AS conversion plate on mine:

My "cheap Chinese" Benro has lasted somewhat longer than did my Manfrotto 410, I had to send it away twice for warranty repair!

I was only kidding mate. I’ve never heard bad things about Benro. Am sure they’re fine. Have to say I bought my 410 used and it’s yet to let me down in I think 4-5 years now. That said, it’s only used in a studio type setting, never outside.

Thanks Duncan, but it will still be cheaper to sell mine and get the Benro (unless I'm missing something of course).
I just attach a standard arca swiss clamp to the manfrotto quick release plate. The 405/410 both have a 3/8-16 option for the plate, so you don't even need to adapt it. Using a panning clamp makes it even more functional.

You're right, I'm going senile. It's been a while since I bought this one but if I now remember right Manfrotto released a new version and it was seriously rubbish compared to the original? I was thinking that was the junior version but obviously not.

Edit: I think it was the Manfrotto XPRO that used to get slaughtered for being too unstable for macro?

It wouldn't surprise me - my recollection is that there was a definite 'flex' in the plastic it was made from, which is the last thing you want in a geared head.

This looks like a decent deal on a 410 complete with tripod for someone..

I had missed a few offers on ebay for the 410 as well as a few that MPB had in stock but eventually got a "like new' one from MPB for about 105 quid and have been playing around with it.

I am not sure the difference between "like new" and "new" as far as MPB is concerned but this unit doesn't look as if it has seen a photographer.

Anyway - very happy - does exactly what I wanted it for and it seems to be absolutely solid. The Benro would have done but hadn't seen a cheap one recently.

The issue of QR plates is a pain generally: my long teles have AS feet as does my gimbal but I was using RC2's on a Manfrotto head and my camera bodies - and now ther'e this RC4 on the 410 - AAARGH!.

I have enough metalwork to connect anything to anything but I think its probably time to get some small 50mm AS plates for the bodies and adapt everything else to AS - and regain some sanity.

Back