Which lens and gimbal for bird photography

Name
Philip wood
Edit My Images
Yes
Please excuse me if this sounds very basic but I really fancy having a try at wildlife photography and do not have a long reach lens. I have both crop sensor 60D and full frame 5D Mk3 and wonder what lens to buy. I have seen a Sigma 50-500 F4-F5.6 with tele-converter and wonder if this is suitable or what other lens would be better. Thanks.

50-500 mm is a large range and usually means reduced image quality (I don't know this particular lens so that is a general comment). I do have the Sigma 200-600 lens which is very good and I would recommend it to anyone.

Last edited:
Hi Gramps. Thanks Would hope to keep under about £600.00 if possible but depends a lot on quality.

You have some very high quality bird photos. Like them a lot.

Last edited:
It's all a matter of compromises... the 50-500 is surprisingly good for what it is, I owned one for a while a long time ago. Within it's focal range I would say it is comparable to the other third party offerings (i.e. 150-600). But I don't think the TC with it is a good idea...

If you are looking at buying new, then I think the Nikon 200-500 is hard to beat. And it will work better w/ a 1.4x TC if your cameras have F/8 AF capability.

Edit: I just saw the budget... I'd buy a used 50-500 w/o TC, they go for cheap these days.

Last edited:
Hi Gramps. Thanks Would hope to keep under about £600.00 if possible but depends a lot on quality.
The Sigma 50-500 or 150-500 are probably the only 3rd-party lenses within your budget (used) and are both lenses that were widely used by amateur wildlife photographers before the advent of the 150-600 lenses. A little more than your budget would probably get you one of the Sigma 'C' or Tamron (original) 150-600 lenses, which would give you better options than the earlier two Sigma lenses.
I don't know Canon so am unable to advise on any Canon lenses that might fit the bill. :)

I Initially purchased the sigma 150-600 Sport but it was too heavy so I swapped it for the sigma 150-600 Contemporary and have no regrets. It's super sharp and the auto focus is very fast. I have also tried the Canon 100-400 Mk II but it didn't give enough reach.

I use the Sigma 150-600 Sport, sometimes with a 1.4TC, strapped to a 7D2 and its fine. You should be able to find a 150-600C within your budget (same class as the Sport, but in a plastic body rather than metal) neither of them is the fastest focusing lens out there, but it's good enough for most stuff.

Just watch the light, the Sigma's are f6.3 at the long end, f8 with the 1.4TC so you'll need to be able to shoot at up to 3200 ISO at times. Put it on either body and you should be able to get shots like this very easily:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1507/24724110693_2de53dbb2a_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/352/19255056085_faa64b0cca_b.jpg

If I can shoot stuff like this then I'm sure most people can.

I think these may have even been on my 7D Mk1...

To get a bit closer is the Sigma 150-600 at about £720 about the best for me Could run to that if need be Most seem to think it a very good lens ???

To get a bit closer is the Sigma 150-600 at about £720 about the best for me Could run to that if need be Most seem to think it a very good lens ???
I think you would struggle to get a better option for the money :)

I think its the best option. You can always add the 1.4x converter at a later date too.

Bought new for £680. It extends to 840 on the crop 60D may like that combination if the quality stands up at high ISO. Thanks very much guys.

Off Ebay from Ireland the seller seems fine it went down £35 while I was looking today. New including manufacturers warranty

I have done e wildlife with a 70-200 you have to get the right subject and distance. I now have a sigma 160-600c great lens on a 7d2 which is a crop sensor so has a tc in it if you work it out I personally don't like tc's. I did try the canon 100-400mk2 very good lens but I settled on reach and no tc.

Why not Wez?

Adding a converter reduces image quality and the amount of degradation is related to how good the lens is in the first place. With a lens like this, which is borderline in quality anyway, adding a converter will result in a mushy result (and likely poor autofocus performance).

With a lens like this, which is borderline in quality anyway,
Really?
What was the point in this comment when you know he's just bought one. Not everyone can afford £5k lenses.
Im delighted with the quality of my lens like this.

Adding a converter reduces image quality and the amount of degradation is related to how good the lens is in the first place. With a lens like this, which is borderline in quality anyway, adding a converter will result in a mushy result (and likely poor autofocus performance).
All the reviews I have watched and read give the Sigma very good scores for quality. As Robert said, not everyone can afford top end prime lenses and that's what you would have to go too to beat the Sigma. It certainly isn't border line on quality.

Really?
What was the point in this comment when you know he's just bought one. .

he was quite rightly advising against using a converter on it.. you wanted an explanation why so he answered...

I think I may need a gimbal or similar to give flexibility on a tripod or monopod any advice as to which is best of the not to expensive ones. At 72 I am not as stable as I once was sadly. Thanks.

Last edited:
Phil i'm probably the worst person to help I don't use a tripod much erm iof at all:rolleyes:,but have been digging a goodly bit on gimbals,I think for someone on a budget it might be worth checking out Rob at lensmaster. He's a tog whom built a gimbal for himself,ALL reports I read speak of excellent customer care(that is a big deal to me) and his prices seem, well, very fair. I feel that one day Phil I'll be talking to Rob just need pennies first and it's too easy to spend in this game. So I read alot trying to work out which tools might help me progress. So without any form of practical experience which I want to really emphasise have a dig of the lensmaster products,

Mate all the luck,get close;) you'll love this food for the soul

stu

I do all of my bird photography with a Canon 400 5.6. The images are sharp and the weight of the camera, lens and flash make it a good carry around set up. If I did a lot of far off shorebird and wading bird photos with a tripod I would be interested in the longer and heavier lenses but I get most of my images walking trails.

Back