Which lens on which body?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, new to the forum and also relatively new to sports photography.
I will be shooting local (non league) football and rugby games and would like to ask for your advice.

I have Nikon D4S and D500 bodies and was thinking of using a 70-200mm f2.8 and a 300mm f4 ( currently saving for the f2.8 )
I was thinking of using the 300mm on the D500 to take advantage of the crop factor & the 70-200 on the D4S for the closer work.
Is this a sensible way to go about it??
Thanks

Yes. I have a D4 and 70-200 2.8 and its a big fat heavy lump though. Hate carrying it about

to take advantage of the crop factor

You thinking is not wrong everywhere but you
get no special advantage from a crop sensor
but the higher sencel count.

Yes i know what you mean about the weight, one reason i got the D500 was it's a little more "carry friendly". I even toyed with the idea of selling the D4S and getting a second D500 body.

You thinking is not wrong everywhere but you
get no special advantage from a crop sensor
but the higher sencel count.

Apart from your addiction to theoretical physics, in sport (amongst other areas) the simple fact is this...

The narrowed FoV of a crop camera sensor provides what resembles a magnification factor of x1.5 (1.6 for Canon) on an APS-C sensor.

The argument about cropping the FF to suit falls apart if you are using, say, a 1Dx @ 18Mpx and a 7DII @ 20Mpx.

It's not actual 'zoom' but it's pretty close and it affects a fair number of decisions. This is especially true in sport where you are usually in a fixed position.

It's vital to know if you are over or under lensed both at the wide and the long end of the focal range.

For example, if I'm shooting cricket at the Oval, I know that if I put a 1.6x crop on a 500mm lens I'll be overlensed for the near wicket and very tight at the far one. However if I use an FF sensor I'll be fine at the near end and have to crop a bit for the far one.

No matter what physics says, the sensor has an effect on the image view and therefore has to be considered/calculated.

No matter what physics says, the sensor has an effect on the image view and therefore has to be considered/calculated.

Why do you need to calculate something when you presume
the laws of physics were suspended in your favour?

I am not having this discussion once more …/

Back