Which photo please?

Name
Aura
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I'm doing a local exhibition in my library in December as part of my art group, and I would like some advice please?

I have two versions of the same picture, but I'm not sure which is the better one. can you help me choose please?

Many thanks

Attachments

• spire.jpg.jpg
    spire.jpg.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Spire enhanced.jpg
    Spire enhanced.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Hi just my personal oppinion

No2 , I would also crop out the distracting trees bottom right , also the church spire looks to be leaning slightly to the right
Horrizon needs straightning to cure this

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, do you mean Spire enhanced? i think it's a telegraph pole bottom right, or do you mean the green hedge?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, do you mean Spire enhanced? i think it's a telegraph pole bottom right, or do you mean the green hedge?

Sorry , The one I prefer is the spire image but the spire is leaning
The hedge / tree / shrub whatever it is

Last edited:
First one for me (not the enhanced one). It's the warmer overall tone I like.

The spire leans anyway, wonder it hasn't fallen down :)

No 1, more natural

No.1... 2nd one has a hue to it that looks a little off, but i am viewing on my phone

No 1

From a personal view and viewing on my phone, I prefer the first one.

The first one it is, what is the frame size down from 16 x 20 please?

No 1 for me

Well, the general consensus seems to be No1 and I wholeheartedly agree. The warmer tones make it more appealing.

Try asking a different way? In terms of proportions 16x20 is 4x5 maybe that’s what you’re looking for?

As above I’m also curious to know what’s the message of the image?

Frame sizes go typically 10*8, 12*8, 11*14, 12*16, 12*18, 16*20 etc but you may also get A4 and A3.

If framing, make sure you've allowed for a mount too, unless using a border less frame. Typically the frame needs to be the next size up from the aperture in the mount for the print, though there are no hard and fast rules.

Last edited:
First one for me

It's good to choose the frame to suit the picture unless you're constrained by max frame size.

This frame is 16 X 20 and will take a 12 X 16 print. Choosing frames & mounts can be a PITB because there are so many sizes and small variations that mean things don't quite fit. It's also normal to lose a little at the edge of the print because the hole in the mount has to be slightly smaller than the picture behind. If you're planning to frame un-mounted then chose a frame to suit just the size of image you want to print, although I think pictures often look much nicer with a mount.

Sorry not to answer your question cleanly.

Thanks. What print size would fit a 12 x 18 mount?

That depends on the aperture cut in the mount - choose your frame based on the image, rather than sizing the image based on the frame. For a 12X18 frame (rather long and thin) you might have 10X15 or 9X16 if you were going panoramic.

If your image is in the ratio 2:3 then I'd look for a frame 2" bigger on each side than the print size you want to show.

This is 12X16 to take a print 12X8. https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/ribba-frame-black-30378454/

I'm using Ikea because their frames are easy to find sizes online, cheap, ready to go and look 'OK'. There's no reason you shouldn't find something local & better: you may well find a local framer who will produce something nice in whatever combination of sizes you want, or go online for other suppliers. Also consider what colour mount card you want. Framing is an art in itself.

I go to Ikea sometimes, are they sturdy frames?

Adequate. They used to be better with glass, rather than plastic over the picture. For £6 that frame is excellent value, but you can't expect it to be incredible for so little money.

FWIW
I have used IKEA Ribba frames, originally with glass glazing (standard float glass) them more recently with plastic glazing,....which I learned is styrene!

For the last lot of frames I had custom ones made (cannot recall website right now) and they were glazed with Acrylic. I chose the standard 2mm acrylic but they had, at additional charge, UV blocking and an anti-reflection one. Yes, more costly compared to IKEA!

Back