Which Printer should I get?

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I have just started out with a canon DSLR, and need to get a printer that would be able to print up some of my shots, however can't afford more than £300. What would people recommend ?

I would like to print up to A4 size if poss

Thanks

Harvey,

It is actually cheaper to get your prints done with a lab, especially if you use a lab such as ALDIprint*. However if you just want the flexibility of having the ability to print at home then fair enough. You are however pretty much sat in the middle ground between the home printers and pro ability ones. My favourite printer for use at home is the R2880 which does lab quality prints at upto A3 but it costs about £500 or certainly high £400.

How flexible is your budget?

* £1.33 postage then 4p per 5x3.5, 5p per 6x4, 10p per 7x5.5.....34p per 12x8 (this is far cheaper than home printing and arrive next day+1)

Last edited:
If you only want A4 - then the Canon MP640 should be a reasonable starting place - I have the previous model and printing quality is very good.

If you regularly print small numbers of shots, then it could make financial sense (assuming that the printer is only for photos) as the postage from a lot of labs becomes excessive unless you are printing in quantity.

Tesco have the Canon MP550 on offer at the moment for £49.97 instead of the normal price of £120. I bought one last week after recommendation on TP but haven't tried it yet.

the printers mentioned above don't give the same quality as what aldi would give and aldi is cheaper.

the printers mentioned above don't give the same quality as what aldi would give and aldi is cheaper.

I take it you are not including the R2880 in there :)

I have a Canon MP610 and I rate it highly. Fine for copying and scanning as well as printing out the odd pic, although as Darren says, getting them done by a lab is inexpensive and much better quality.

If you only want A4 - then the Canon MP640 should be a reasonable starting place - I have the previous model and printing quality is very good.

If you regularly print small numbers of shots, then it could make financial sense (assuming that the printer is only for photos) as the postage from a lot of labs becomes excessive unless you are printing in quantity.

+1:)

Check these people out have had a number of printers off them over the years for friends and family.

http://inkexpress.co.uk/index.php?p=Home

I still run a 6yr old epson R200 with a ciss and it still turns out fantasic A4 prints both colour and black & white.
And there service is 2nd to non :)

I recently bought a Epson R1400
prints up to A3 and £225 ( IIRC) from amazon
so far no complaints what so ever (y)

Thanks everyone for your help, I think I may follow the advice and try Aldiprint, and get a cheaper cannon for quick prints (as my old dell printer has given up on me anyway so need to replace.

I use a Canon ip4700 it cost £70, 5 seperate ink tanks, lovely prints !

+1 on this. Produces good A4 prints in true colour sharp as a tack.

Paul

I use an Epson Stylus Photo PX650. It works well with compatible cartridges, gives really good results with Epson Photo Quality Inkjet Paper, and Epson Premium Gloss Photo paper. It also prints directly to CD's which is a nice way to digitally present your photos when made into a slideshow or DVD. It's also an excellent scanner, and has inbuilt card reader for SDHC, SD, MsPro, xD and compact flash cards.

I just bought a Canon Pixma MG6150 and I am more than happy with the results.. paid £159 for it

Another +1 for the Canon Pixma iP4700 - I've got this and the iP4600 and have been really pleased with results.

I prefer to use a lab to get prints done.
I would just get a cheap Epson or Canon for home use.

I have the canon pixma ip4700 and tbh the prints are better than what you get from a lab, and I find you are much more in control printing your own.

I've just bought a Canon Pixma IP4850 for £70 (included an extra ink cartridge and USB cable) which apparently is a replacement for the 4700. It's my first colour printer and I am very impressed with the speed of print and the quality. With certain Canon cameras this printer also allows prints directly from hi def video.

I am an Aldi user/fan too but it's good to have the instant availability and experimentation which your own printer allows.

Oh, and nearly forgot - the other key factor in me getting it is that it prints directly to DVD/CD!

It looks like the IP4850 fills all my criteria except no Wifi interface. I'm amazed Canon havent included it it.

You will not get a definate answer. Every body to his own. Already this thread has offered about 6 different printers. I chose Epson as the cartridges can be bought cheap from 3rd party suppliers. I use the empty cartridges and refill them with U.S. ink then recharge the chip. A good plan is to refill them with spirits from the chemists. This will remove any blockages in the heads.

Back