Which way? On Gairloch beach

Name
Beth
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently bought a 1958 Leica Elmar 50mm collapsible which my appreciation for has been mixed. However I rather like playing with it, and occasionally up pops a photo I really like.

On the beach
by Elizabeth Oldham, on Flickr

Not so unusual this spring and summer. We've had some lovely long dry and sunny spells since winter finally decided it was finished. :)

I'm there (not the beach, but Gairloch) now and it is hot, way too hot for me in the sun. This is only the second time in 15 or so years I have known it to be as dry as it is now.

Dave

I'm there (not the beach, but Gairloch) now and it is hot, way too hot for me in the sun. This is only the second time in 15 or so years I have known it to be as dry as it is now.

Dave

Is the sun keeping the midges down at all? They were a nightmare when we were there - by 7pm we had to close the caravan door because they were coming in, though we did have a couple of swallows come in as well................:) Always entertaining watching the people who weren't 'in the know' doing the 'OMD there's no mobile signal and I'm being eaten alive' dance moves, though :banana:

I find it's more the breeze which keeps midges down. Perfect storm is wet, and no wind.

Is the sun keeping the midges down at all? They were a nightmare when we were there - by 7pm we had to close the caravan door because they were coming in, though we did have a couple of swallows come in as well................:) Always entertaining watching the people who weren't 'in the know' doing the 'OMD there's no mobile signal and I'm being eaten alive' dance moves, though

Most of the time, yes, and I do think the light level has an effect - they do not seem to like strong sunlight. However, I think the greatest impact on the midge number this year is the dryness. There areas that would normally be boggy, even in the summer, are very dry which must reduce the places to breed. I have nothing to back it up and admittedly if it is very dry in NW Scotland then it will have also been very sunny.

I went for a walk on Wednesday afternoon. As it was baking hot and with a bit of breeze I though I would not need any insect repellent to keep the midges away.

I was correct.

However, clegs laugh in face of a breeze and pour scorn on strong sunlight and my didn't the have fun with my legs.:)

Fortunately their bites do not cause any nasty reaction in me and although the initial contact hurts, that is all there is.

Dave

Back