Which wideangle lens???

Name
Cheryl
Edit My Images
Yes
Am 'thinking' of getting a wideangle lens for my D70, but haven't got a clue where to start. Anyone got any recommendations/ advice? Am I better off with a prime or a zoom? I'm going on hoilday in september and will use it mainly for landscapes. The lenses I have already are:
28-80mm
70-300mm
105mm macro

I would value some expert advice from you lot :)

Oh, and my budget is quite limited, so don't go suggesting things that cost an absolute fortune - I'm not made of money ;)

Min
Have a read up on these that I found at Bristol Camera's
Tamron 17 - 35 f2.8 @£305
Sigma 17 - 35 f2.8 @£285
Sigma 10 - 20 f4 @£295 (I've got one of these and I think it's a great lens)
Sigma 17 - 35 DG EX HSM @£299

I wasn't to sure on the Nikon Lenses but they did look a bit pricey

Hope the above helps.

(y) (y)

Vote here for the Sigma 10-20, although to be honest I cant comment on the rest - however most reviews tend to lean towards the Sigma.

Might also want to read this thread, if you havent already - Linky

Must admit, after researching and trawling the net, I'm swaying towards the Sigma 10-20mm ;)

If you really want convincing look at Petemc's shots in this thread:

Linky

I think you need to set yourself a definite budget and then work to that, the reviews of kit over at fredmiranda are very useful in finding peoples real world experience of lenses.

I have heard a couple of scare stories about the sigma 10-20 involving bad copies, but I think this is true of any budget lens.

I also have the 28-80 and 70-300, with a sigma 18-55 and 10-20mm. I find the first 3 just rubbish compared to the 10-20.

It's very rare you will use the full 10mm wide angle of the sigma doing landscape stuff as it pushes the perspective so far that you literally have to be right up against something to get it to fill the frame.

If I didn't need it for work (interiors) I'd probably sell it and get something less wide and prime maybe.

hth?

Just bought a Sigma 10-20 - (based on good mag reviews, comments on this forum and a quick play at Jessops) - I haven't yet opened the box as I've been clearing up flood mess in my conservatory :-(

Jessops online = £301.49 but using the online save voucher snagged it for £281.49 - but I'm damned if I can remember the code - something like save-2020 - it was posted in a previous thread but I can't find it, sorry!!

John

When the damp has dried I shall experiment :)

agreed with joe here, if you dont need the width of the sigma go for the tokina.

i have the sigma tho and love it. and my corners are good for the most part :)

Never one to debate for too long ;) I ordered the Sigma 10-20mm from Bristol cameras on Weds afternoon and it arrived 1st thing this morning :D
Everything looks about a million miles away, but it also makes everything look really long :naughty:
Off to have a play now :D

Watch out for things when your walking along looking through the lens. I've nearly walked into buildings :)

petemc said:
Watch out for things when your walking along looking through the lens. I've nearly walked into buildings :)
:LOL: I can believe that!

Quick shot of the first thing I could think of - my car :) Taken from about a foot away. This lens is awesome after working so much with a 70-300mm.
yaris.jpg

Looks like a nice lens Mini. (y)
But you do know that 'lens lust' can never be completely satisfied don't you :LOL:

Rich (trying to keep my wallet closed) :naughty:

Joe T said:
Looks good, and not too much distortion either. What focal length was that?

Makes me want the Nikkor 12-24 so much more! :( :D

Just looked - that was at 16mm. Not really had much time to get out with it... busy sanding decking at the mo (and it really is boring!) :help:

Taken on 10mm setting the Sigma dramatically changes the look of my boring old 3 Series Touring :eek: ... Looking forward to trying it out some more :geek:
Paul
photo_zoom.gne

Back