Whisper Something Dirty in his Ear

sunnyside_up

<span class="poty">POTY (Joint) 2016</span>
Name
Bethy
Edit My Images
No
It's a little thing I always (try to anyway) get couples to do... have to suss them out a bit first ... I ask the missus to whisper something dirty in her partner's ear... I always love the results from these.

And I have no idea what she said... I try to block that. ;)

Thanks for looking!

Phil and Ami by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

It's a little thing I always (try to anyway) get couples to do... have to suss them out a bit first ... I ask the missus to whisper something dirty in her partner's ear...

Gosh Bethy, you've just reminded me of the day when a certain very well-known pro baby snapper came along to one of our weddings for the ride. This was at the Landmark in the Marylebone Road, and we were compelled to do the couple shots inside 'cos of the weather. I freely admit I was struggling on account of the crap light, the lack of a decent background anywhere and the couple themselves. They were Chinese, and actually a lovely couple, but they certainly weren't the most relaxed or demonstrative of people.

Anyhow, I did my thing, then knowing M**** to be a better portrait snapper than she admitted to being, I invited her to have a go. She took a few shots of the couple on a staircase, then said "Hey (bride) - say something dirty to him." Unfortunately I was so in awe of the couple's reaction that I failed to get a snap of it, but I've never seen two people look more mortified.

Yep, the old "say something dirty to him/her" is a good 'un, but you do need to have your subject sussed and think before you use it ... :D

It's a little thing I always (try to anyway) get couples to do... have to suss them out a bit first ... I ask the missus to whisper something dirty in her partner's ear... I always love the results from these.

And I have no idea what she said... I try to block that. ;)

Thanks for looking!

Phil and Ami by Beth Botterill, on Flickr
Hilarious!

Out of interest how many frames do you take when provoking this kind of reaction? Do you time a single shot or take heaps? Or somewhere in between?

Lovely work Beth, great interaction captured between the couple.
Thanks Iain,, much appreciated. :)

Yeah excellent idea - and a great capture!
Thanks very much - it's always a good giggle. :)

Gosh Bethy, you've just reminded me of the day when a certain very well-known pro baby snapper came along to one of our weddings for the ride. This was at the Landmark in the Marylebone Road, and we were compelled to do the couple shots inside 'cos of the weather. I freely admit I was struggling on account of the crap light, the lack of a decent background anywhere and the couple themselves. They were Chinese, and actually a lovely couple, but they certainly weren't the most relaxed or demonstrative of people.

Anyhow, I did my thing, then knowing M**** to be a better portrait snapper than she admitted to being, I invited her to have a go. She took a few shots of the couple on a staircase, then said "Hey (bride) - say something dirty to him." Unfortunately I was so in awe of the couple's reaction that I failed to get a snap of it, but I've never seen two people look more mortified.

Yep, the old "say something dirty to him/her" is a good 'un, but you do need to have your subject sussed and think before you use it ... :D
Thanks Dan. Great story too! This shot normally happens when Mum and Dad bring their little darling's around for some kid pix, and it's not normally planned as it's usually just about the kids and some family photos. So right before I'm ready to say 'I think we're done', I'll usually invite the couple for a couple of pictures of just them - set the kids up with a biscuit and a few toys and I fire off a few of them. By this time, I've gotten to know them quite well and know if I can pull this one out of the bag. So I normally have a good hour at least to suss them out.

I bet the look on your couple's face was a real treat! Shame you didn't get that picture! lol!

That's a great image, but Dan's point is a very good one too - as you said, you sussed them out first.
Thanks Toni. Yes, I agree - not one to just throw out there without a bit of 'getting to know them' first. :)

Hilarious!

Out of interest how many frames do you take when provoking this kind of reaction? Do you time a single shot or take heaps? Or somewhere in between?
Thanks Simon. I think I fired off about 6-10 frames of just this reaction. It starts a bit of banter between the two and I just grab what I can. This was the best of the lot I thought, as it really brought a smile to my face, and I'm sure when they look at it, they'll know exactly what it was all about. :)

what a cracking Idea- I may just use that myself - Lovely natural portrait Bethy, I love it

Les ;)

Lovely shot!

Kind of goes along with my new mantra - "now what?" - which I picked up when asking for critique on my event photography work. Someone said the shots I'd got were perfectly fine and must-haves, but I needed to wait it out for what happens next. At the time I didn't really know what he was getting at but now I'm borderline obsessed with capturing emotion/feeling/something/anything :D

such a great moment and a lovely photo.
Thanks Craig. Still makes me smile everytime I look at it. Hoping they feel the same. :)

Fantastic natural portrait, well done. It's nice to see things like this from a studio rather than seeing people stare in to a camera.
Thanks Rob. I've got the 'starting into the camera shots' as well, but me and my clients always prefer the ones where they get caught up in themselves and forget about me. Suppose that's how it's supposed to work? :)

what a cracking Idea- I may just use that myself - Lovely natural portrait Bethy, I love it

Les ;)
Cheers Les. Good luck with it! :)

Lovely shot!

Kind of goes along with my new mantra - "now what?" - which I picked up when asking for critique on my event photography work. Someone said the shots I'd got were perfectly fine and must-haves, but I needed to wait it out for what happens next. At the time I didn't really know what he was getting at but now I'm borderline obsessed with capturing emotion/feeling/something/anything :D
It is that 'now what' kinda thing... never thought of that really, but I suppose that's what this is... because the shot of her whispering is kinda boring - it was the reaction that works the best... the 'now what'. :)

that is an excellent shot
Thanks very much! :)

Thanks Craig. Still makes me smile everytime I look at it. Hoping they feel the same. :)

Thanks Rob. I've got the 'starting into the camera shots' as well, but me and my clients always prefer the ones where they get caught up in themselves and forget about me. Suppose that's how it's supposed to work? :)

Cheers Les. Good luck with it! :)

It is that 'now what' kinda thing... never thought of that really, but I suppose that's what this is... because the shot of her whispering is kinda boring - it was the reaction that works the best... the 'now what'. :)

Thanks very much! :)
exactly. the shot of her whispering would have been fine - a shot that they'd have loved - but now it's something entirely different. great work.

This is awesome, what a great idea to get something different and unique out of a couple. I would love to try this one day and to also be other side of the camera in this position with the wife whispering something in my ear ;)

That's a great idea to get a totally unstaged response from your subjects. You've captured a priceless shot and I'm sure the couple will remember and treasure that one forever.

Classic, love it.

Back