Whitby Pier

Edit My Images
Yes
First shot with my new (to me) 60D, taken with a Sigma 30mm f1.4, Hoya 1000ND filter.

I think it looks a bit noisy.

The weather today wasn't great, had to do quite a bit in LR to get some interest into the sky.

Any thoughts on the noise?

IMG_4516.jpg by J T, on Flickr

Last edited:

All in shades of grey??? :eek:

Why not? It gives a "fusin" look that is pleasant. Very. :)
A possible improvement could be a keystone tweak! :confused:

Thanks for the comments, very poetic!

I'll have a look at the keystone, I did think that the lighthouse looked a bit wonky...

Was it underexposed?
Lifting the exposure can increase noise.
Did you apply any noise reduction/sharpening?
How did you convert to mono?

Can you show a minimal colour edit to see a comparison
BTW it is possible to downlaod it full sixe from Flickr adjust your settings to prevent downloading.

Last edited:
This is impossible… to one with the right tools!
While that as a general statement is true.

It does not mean that having a full resolution image on hosting site and allowing the downloading of that image at the click of button is a good idea.
I was able to open the image straight into Photoshop.

It does not mean

I didn't mean to prove you wrong in this, Alf, but I
wanted to emphasise the illusion an image is safe
in anyway on the internet. :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, (I think) I've adjusted the settings on flickr to stop the download now.

I don't think the image was underexposed, if anything it was slightly over as I had to bring the sky back quite a bit. I'm on the wrong computer at the moment, I'll post a colour untouched version this evening if I get a chance.

Oh, I also got wet feet taking it as a wave went over my wellies. Rather cold feet after that!

Thanks for the help so far.

Last edited:
I really like this @mrjmt, lovely composition and I love the b&w processing. I don't have access to Flickr when at work but I don't see too much noise in this, nothing that takes away from the image imo!

OK, untouched original photo below.

Interesting, I think the lens correction is what has created the keystone issue on the lighthouse.

Looking at it now, its certainly not overexposed, and yes is slightly under looking at the histogram.

IMG_4516 by J T, on Flickr

Last edited:
I really like this @mrjmt, lovely composition and I love the b&w processing. I don't have access to Flickr when at work but I don't see too much noise in this, nothing that takes away from the image imo!

To view it on Flickr just click on the image

Looking at it now, its certainly not overexposed, and yes is slightly under looking at the histogram.

Check the histogram when shooting as a scane like this which is bright can fool the cameras metering also the blue slider in tghe B7W mix or dakening blue too much can cause noise
I think I over sharpened the shot but learning to sharpen and reduce noise is useful

The new version is too sharp now, it is tricky getting them right for flickr - which I think adds some sharpening.
Going back to the downloading it's still a two click job to download from the source code.
Put stuff online and it can be downloaded

Back