White background - blue tone/grey

Name
Pootle
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone, I hope this explanation makes sense! I take a lot of close-up shots of jewellery on a white background. Mostly I like to use natural light on a sunny day (in the UK this is a challenge!) but I am also using a lightbox with LEDs (not a budget one, a fairly decent one) However, I'm not much of a photographer so I have no idea why this is happening and wondered if someone can advise on what I can possibly do to stop the white background from having a bluish or greyish tone when I come to edit the photos (i.e. before editing so that I don't have to over-edit them) :( Ideally looking for a nice crisp white result as much as is possible. TIA, PF :banana:

It just sounds like a white balance issue. Are you processing your images or just producing jpegs?
+ Underexposed background
Use one type of lightsource to get proper control and light The background sufficiently

Last edited by a moderator:
I would light the BG separately - keep it nice and white- even lit from underneath may help- or try a nice reflective Black BG

like this I did for fun on a wet cloudy day whilst stuck indoors

dgsgl0a.jpg

Les :)

As has been said, you need to 'light' a white background and to do this you'll need to understand a little about lighting and the way light falls off over distance - inverse square law.

I'd take Les' advice and use a black/dark background - much easier for a beginner to get to grips with. :)

As has been said, you need to 'light' a white background and to do this you'll need to understand a little about lighting and the way light falls off over distance - inverse square law.

I'd take Les' advice and use a black/dark background - much easier for a beginner to get to grips with. :)
Thanks but black background isn't what I'm looking for

How would I sort this?

First of all in Camera or in Post production, like Photoshop or Lightroom if you have these imaging editors??

I can show by example

Here is an original shot I took

1u94daq.jpg

Here is the edit in Photoshop 2020- BG change to white

NfLMvVx.jpg

Reactions: Sky
First of all in Camera or in Post production, like Photoshop or Lightroom if you have these imaging editors??

Hi Les, I am using Lightroom to edit but even before editing they look slightly grey so I wondered if there was some setting or other I could use on my camera to adjust to make the background as little grey/bluish looking as possible?! Anyone?

Hi Les, I am using Lightroom to edit but even before editing they look slightly grey so I wondered if there was some setting or other I could use on my camera to adjust to make the background as little grey/bluish looking as possible?! Anyone?

Look at my added images above- Is this the sort of thing you need ??? Plenty of great advice on YouTube too

Try altering the WB in Camera to start with

Using lightroom, use the colour dropper in basic to neutralise the background colour. Brighten it using the light slider in curves.

Yes, it could be that the inage is slightly underexposed which would give you a grey b/g. So add 1 maybe 2 stops exposure and try that.

If it is white balance, the white balance slider ("temp") in LR is at the top right of the develop module and try moving that slightly to the yellow end (to the right).

Back