White Mill Bridge - Dorset

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a lovely break in Dorset in November and decided to head out to a tree lined road for sunrise on a cold frosty morning.

The location really needs some mist across the scene to pick up the first light and it was clear there would be none that day.

Luckily I had left myself plenty of time to get to another location - the conditions looked like anything near water would give some mist so I headed over to White Mill bridge.

As I drove along the road I could see mist formed in the valley bottom and felt that usual excitement that I expect most landscape photographers feel in the pit of their stomachs at such a sight :)

It was a bit of a dash from the car park as the light was already kicking off - 3 other photographers had arrived before me so I just made the best of it without getting in their way.

They seemed to favour shots looking more directly at the bridge but I really liked the frosty grass - even though the bridge and mist was lovely the grass was the star attraction for me.

Winter Begins
by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Edit My Images
No
Beautiful conditions and a lovely image, but I can't help feeling it's a little unbalanced. It feels like there should be a bit more breathing space on the right side to get that tree closer to a third, and there is a slightly distracting tree in the top left which I'd crop. It is a beautiful shot though (y)

OP
OP
Dave Semmens
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Beautiful conditions and a lovely image, but I can't help feeling it's a little unbalanced. It feels like there should be a bit more breathing space on the right side to get that tree closer to a third, and there is a slightly distracting tree in the top left which I'd crop. It is a beautiful shot though (y)
Thanks - cropping the tree top left is a good call - it does draw the eye a bit.

Not overly worried about the tree on a third as it is there to stop the eye wandering out of the image rather than as a dominant part of the image. All that sits further to the right is a muddy bank as well :(

Dave.