White Rhino shot 3 times and horn removed with chainsaw - in a zoo!

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
A zoo just outside of Paris was the scene of a break-in where a White Rhino was shot three times in the head and then its horn was removed with a chainsaw!
The zoo reports that five members of staff are on site overnight but apparently they were not alerted ... the zoo has suffered regular thefts of small monkeys so they are under special security but this seems not to be the case for other species.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/poachers-kill-rhino-prized-horn-inside-french-zoo-n730121

Its getting beyond a joke..!! Is nothing safe anymore..??

I also see one of the last few super tuskers was killed the other day too.. We are living in a sad, sad world..!

I remember when I did one of ZSL's overnighters, a couple of years ago, the keepers were concerned that this sort of thing may happen, even then.
TBH it hadn't occurred to me until they mentioned it..

Sad, very sad, :(

Saw both these stories today.... it actually makes me feel a little sick and really quite angry.
Just the mentality of the people who carry these acts out - and then 'human kind' for perpetuating the desire for the animal parts :(

What are "they" going to do once all the animals have been killed... (and sadly I can see a time when thats going to happen), no doubt the Chinese will come up with another medicine substitute - probably artificial, so why not just do that now?

no doubt the Chinese will come up with another medicine substitute
I'm probably going straight to hell for posting this, yes it does has serous undertones, but it made me chuckle nonetheless :D

1016711_593887304024511_710069092_n.jpg

Words fail me... :(

I saw that on the news this morning - utterly shameful, poor animal!

Almost makes you ashamed of being human :(

Saw both these stories today.... it actually makes me feel a little sick and really quite angry.
Just the mentality of the people who carry these acts out - and then 'human kind' for perpetuating the desire for the animal parts :(

What are "they" going to do once all the animals have been killed... (and sadly I can see a time when thats going to happen), no doubt the Chinese will come up with another medicine substitute - probably artificial, so why not just do that now?

Probably find another animal that is even more miraculous in what it cures :(

I also remember a whipsnade guide saying that a local museum had replaced all it's exihibits with resin
copies as they had be pre-warned of a possible break in.
These foul people will never give up as long as there is a living example of what they want, perhaps zoos
should remove the horns to save the creatures.
Yes l know that would spoil our photos, but small price to pay IMHO

I wonder if it is possible to do the following:-

Impregnate, without long term harm to the rhino, the horns with a powerful emetic I similar pharmaceutical?

Rather than resin copies what about 3D printed museum collection horns etc with the same impregnation above?

Basically a way to "poison" the desire in the market place.

PS great linked sticker from @Cobra

As for when we have lost the last animals, well then the poachers and users might just k**l each other battling for the oh so valuable items! But by then "we" would have lost the irreplaceable ~ oh so very sad state of the world the we have not been able to tackle it and get change in place for the better :(

It is overdue for China (the biggest market?) to act independently on this shameful trade.

Last edited:

Impregnate, without long term harm to the rhino, the horns with a powerful emetic I similar pharmaceutical?
I thought that was being trialed somewhere, but am probably wrong.
Apart from ZSL, at least one other European zoo/park has expressed suspicion that their Rhino have been targeted in the last couple of years.

I thought that was being trialed somewhere, but am probably wrong.
Apart from ZSL, at least one other European zoo/park has expressed suspicion that their Rhino have been targeted in the last couple of years.

I remember a few years back digitally altered images of rhinos with pink horns appeared in the news.

https://www.savetherhino.org/rhino_info/thorny_issues/dyeing_rhino_horn_and_elephant_ivory

Sadly it doesn't seem to work.

Last edited:
Back