Wild White-tailed Sea Eagle Extravaganza

dragonfly

Advertiser
Name
Des
Edit My Images
No
A few from last week's trip. This year the conditions were varied thus giving us the opportunities to try different things. Already looking forward to next year...

SE1.jpg

SE2.jpg

SE3.jpg

The clarity and detail in No1 is stunning.
No2 is simply bookworthy.
No3 is nailed with perfect timing.
I'd be thrilled with any of those in my portfolio.

lovely shots
you get them up here in scotland on the island of mull
captain takes you out on boat starts throwing some mackerel as bait
and they swoop down from the cliffs and pick up the fish
only about £60 per trip
you can get some awesome pics

lovely shots
you get them up here in scotland on the island of mull
captain takes you out on boat starts throwing some mackerel as bait
and they swoop down from the cliffs and pick up the fish
only about £60 per trip
you can get some awesome pics
Yes, that's a great place to start if you've never seen one these magnificent birds of prey. But there really is no comparison. The number of birds you see on the boat ride is a fraction of what you would get in Norway. The location we visit has over 50 pairs. We've had up to two dozen dives a day, without needing to feed the same bird twice. This point is important with regards welfare. This is why the two or three birds that you'd see in Mull, is strictly controlled when it comes to how many they can be fed. But the main reason, aside from all this, is the incredible winter light and conditions that you get from Scandinavia that you just don't get in Mull, as much as I love the island.

yes maybe norway has more birds
but look at the cost to go on one of your tours abroad
mull is probably affordable to 90% of photographers who do it for a hobby
the cost of 1 of your tours abroad is a once in a lifetime experience
cheapest i saw was sleeping in tents in snowy conditions at £3k+

yes maybe norway has more birds
but look at the cost to go on one of your tours abroad
mull is probably affordable to 90% of photographers who do it for a hobby
the cost of 1 of your tours abroad is a once in a lifetime experience
cheapest i saw was sleeping in tents in snowy conditions at £3k+
Yes, you are absolutely right, they are not for everyone. Sadly Norway is one of those countries that has a much higher standard of living. That said, we're spending much more than that in many cases on equipment.

"Cracking" set of shots, nuff said.(y)

George.

Lovely set Des, as much as I'd love to do the Norway version I think its Mull for me due to the cost.

The light is great on these, and the action spot on. That said I do really like the perched shot in the snow where the eye is in the clear

Mike

Lovely set Des, as much as I'd love to do the Norway version I think its Mull for me due to the cost.

The light is great on these, and the action spot on. That said I do really like the perched shot in the snow where the eye is in the clear

Mike
There's nothing wrong with Mull, Mike. Beautiful island. Merely trying to point out the differences and the fact that it isn't a true comparison. You can shoot northern lights too, in Scotland, but most prefer to go to Norway for the greater opportunities. Some folks like to go to Africa for safaris, some like local nature reserves and there are those that are quite content shooting birds in one's own garden. It's all wildlife, all good.

During the brief spell of heavy snow, it was hard to get one without a drop or two of snow covering the face, in particular the eye. This is one of those times where you have to try different settings and take a few shots to make sure.

A delightful set of images.

The first is so well lit and processed it looks like flash.

Third, fifth and sixth all good but the second is sublime (wildlife photographer of the year good) and the back lit added shot is great too.

Crikey... these are a bit good. You must be delighted with them :)

Des we chat every now and then for a while now. I admire your work made no bones about that:)........................,these are up there mate,some of the best I've seen from you IMHO obviously. I found the chat with holty fascinating Des ( well actually cheers both),I know nowt of eagles..

Your images convey why you went to Norway Des.............. god that light looks amazing to shoot under. That's a seriously cool set. I guess 2 has it for me as well.

Wonderful image making, mate: it's not just the eagle subject Des, tis the other. 'erm Stuff.:) too ! I also love that last,it's the light Des .

TFS beautiful image making:cool:

stu

Back