why do my images turn out "painterly"

Oh dear. Don't start all that up again!
The X-T2 thread had pages and pages on this.
I forget the name who started it but he sold his Fuji gear and went back to Nikon to get round the problem. Think it could have been snerkler. Better to leave him alone!!!
This thread could run and run, and finish up nowhere.

Oh dear. Don't start all that up again!
The X-T2 thread had pages and pages on this.
I forget the name who started it but he sold his Fuji gear and went back to Nikon to get round the problem. Think it could have been snerkler. Better to leave him alone!!!
This thread could run and run, and finish up nowhere.

oh really sorry

Can't remember the exact details - it's one of those conversations that you just wish would end quickly, but it never does. Some folk could see the problem; others couldn't. All the suggestions were greeted with derision. Think it all started when he took a long distance photo of some trees on a windy day and wondered why the leaves weren't sharp. Went downhill quite quickly after that. Really thought it had been put to bed. GRRRR!

If you take a photo at F18 you will introduce diffraction,

Your aperture, it's too damn high!

also stuff far away can be affected by the atmosphere, perhaps a CPL will sort that,

I used to get a painterly effect with the Olympus EM-1 when I zoomed in and I quickly sold it, but that was different to your image.

Last edited:
How are you processing them? I've just pulled the file down and spent a couple of minutes having a play. As Dan stated, shooting at f18 is not going to help here, f8 to f11 would be fine imo/e. The image is slightly underexposed and lacks contrast. Also not entriely sure the WB is correct, but that is such a subjective and personal feel that it isn't really worth fretting over. I've uploaded two edits here, one I've adjusted the WB, the other as shot - I used the dropper tool in LR, but would warm it up some for my personal taste as it is too cold for me, however I left it at the extreme as an example. Both edits had the same other treatment, exp +.75, a tone curve applied for contrast and tweaks to black, white, highlights and shadows - literally 2 mins! Took me longer typing this!! ;)

If you are not happy with me doing this let me know and I'll nuke 'em.

Adjusted WB
not_mine-.jpg

As shot WB
View attachment 94918

Back