Why do my prints always get cropped?

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I ordered some A3 prints and added a small white border so none (or not much) of the picture got lost when framing (or when they get cropped!) and they came back cropped. The top border was nearly gone. I don't understand it, because I added a custom crop size to my photo editor exactly the same as A3 after checking the dimensions online. What am I missing here?

Last edited:
I ordered some A3 prints and added a small white border so none (or not much) of the picture got lost when framing (or when they get cropped!) and they came back cropped. The top border was nearly gone. I don't understand it, because I added a custom crop size to my photo editor exactly the same as A3 after checking the dimensions online. What am I missing here?

More info... what company are you using and what dimensions ? Are you using inches or?

Also - how did you add the border? what software are you using to resize? what format are you sending? (jpeg, tiff etc)

Are you resizing them before you send them out to be printed?

OK, I'm opening the (jpg) image in Fastone, cropping it by 42x29.7cm. Then adding a plain white border, with a width of 30 (30 what I don't know), then running the crop tool round the whole thing just to make sure it's the right size and the border looks even all the way round etc, then uploading it to print.

Edit: Solved - I just measured the paper and it's a different size - it's 12"x16.2". The print is the right size, the paper needs trimming. Call me naive but when they give you an option of an A3 print, I assumed the paper would be A3!

Edit: Solved - I just measured the paper and it's a different size - it's 12"x16.2". The print is the right size, the paper needs trimming. Call me naive but when they give you an option of an A3 print, I assumed the paper would be A3!

had the same problem.. wont say the company as everyone loves them on here.. I fell out wiht them.. they said they dont have a3 photo paper.. I tried to tell them the a3 looks naff if not set right on the paper...

Back