why do you do photography ?

Fair question and I'll repeat what I've said a few times on here over the years.

I have a decent job that I enjoy that by choice doesn't involve photography.

Photography is simply a hobby which enables me to further engage in the things I really enjoy - namely landscapes, nature and wildlife.

Last edited:
Because I don't believe the zoo animals are talking behind my back, although some of the 'expressions' I capture make me wonder .... o_O

I simply enjoy it.
No specific reason springs to mind.

Because I cannot draw or paint but I still want to create.

I also enjoy looking back at life's events and those events before mine.

A story is good but a picture is a 1000 words that aid a story.

Simply because I enjoy what photography brings me ... it's an opportunity to get out and in my case to walk around and spot some of the birds and wildlife that I enjoy seeing. I have no aspirations to be a 'pro', even if I were good enough, that would take the "hobby" out and with it the relaxation and enjoyment that I now have.
I do set myself goals, perhaps to find and photograph a 'new to me' species locally or to go somewhere to find them e.g. Skomer, Farne Islands, Bempton Cliffs, Northumberland etc but there is no pressure or deadlines :)

Don't quite understand the question
What the OP means by why bother but I do it for fun as I'm into wildlife and taking photos is part of it

To turn the question around, why would an amateur want to be a pro?

Many, not all, people find that their full time employment is not as enjoyable as their pastimes/hobbies. They need a release from their career.
Why make your hobby unenjoyable?

For me it's mainly for memories but also because I like to create things and see an end result. A good balance sheet (no matter how creative lol) doesn't quite have the same effect as a good photograph.

I'm wondering why people bother with photography lately, especially those who do it as a hobby, without aims of 'going pro'
What is the point of this question?

Do you have this opinion about all hobbies?
So I like to keep fit but I have no plans on being a personal trainer or going into that industry. So does that mean that I shouldn't bother exercising?

I like reading about history but I have no plans on being a historian. So does that mean that I shouldn't bother reading?

Pointless question.

I do it as a hobby and have no aims of "going pro". People should still be allowed to go out and get nice pictures without the aim to make money off them. I work two jobs, spray painting 8-5 every weekday and gamekeeping with varying hours, depending on what needs to be done and when. Sometimes I get home at 5, quick sh*t shower and shave then I'm back out on the grind with gamekeeping till gone silly hours of the morning to only have time for a power nap before I'm off painting again.

Photography is nice and relaxing. It's nice to calm down sometimes and just snap away. Especially if I don't have to leave my house if I'm doing high speed photography work like water drops, paint etc, or even going out at night for some astro photography. I do have a lot of other hobbies, but they are all water/snow sports so I fit them in when I can, photography isn't my first port of call on a nice day, it's more of a fall back hobby for some relaxation and time wasting.

Although the same can't be said for my other hobbies as I actually went on countless instructor courses for each one and worked as an instructor for all of them, but then kids came along and I couldn't get away with moving country twice a year and my local center doesn't pay enough.

Last edited:
I started off drawing and painting before I ever picked up a camera so being interested in art and being an artist photography is an extension of that. I'm also interested in the kit too and as I like being out in the countryside or at the coast it all comes together quite nicely.

I started off drawing and painting before I ever picked up a camera so being interested in art and being an artist photography is an extension of that. I'm also interested in the kit too and as I like being out in the countryside or at the coast it all comes together quite nicely.
i started because I wanted to get better pictures of my dogs. I was the sort of person that thought better gear meant better photos lol. I bought an Olympus Pen to only find out I couldn't work it so I bought the photography for dummies book. Helped loads then I started experimenting with different techniques. It kind of lead on from there really with wanting to try every aspect. Glad I did now.

A number of reasons really, firstly I enjoy art but as others have also said, I can't paint or draw or play a musical instrument, so photography allows me to immerse myself creatively which excercises the brain, this then follows onto to the occasional feel good factor when you see the result and think wow I really like that (this is sometimes backed up by others which again gives a feeling of satisfaction).
Also as a bloke I am also a self confessed gadget geek. I like experimenting and learning new things which photography allows me to do..
Then there's the social element, whether it be the various TP meets, speaking to other photographers when out and about, even the polite smile and nod of knowing head nod as you pass others photographers.

So I suppose for the first (and possibly only time) I'll agree with Steve and say why not, what's not to love! (Apart from the hole it has left in my bank balance)

Because I can (y)

Reactions: Nod
I'm wondering why people bother with photography lately, especially those who do it as a hobby, without aims of 'going pro'

Because I want to. I can't think of a better reason.

Do you think photography should only be a profession? It always has and always will be, primarily, an amateur pursuit.

Because I can

I wouldn't go that far!!

Steve.

Last edited:
I'd like to know more about the thought processes behind the question.

On the face of it, it's a bit odd.

Photography as a hobby appeals to a mix of people that's similar to musicians. It's quite a technical pursuit that has an artistic outcome.

The result of that is a broad spectrum, from people who obsess over gear and stats and techniques, to people who don't care about the technicalities and only care about pictures, people who shoot for their own pleasure and people who only get pleasure when other people like their work. Some people are interested in the history of the still image and look to other photographers as artists, some people don'ty care at all about 'photography' and only want to make pictures.

Phil's music analogy is a good one. Music is something else which is largely an amateur activity with just a small percentage doing it professionally.

I do it semi-professionally and as far as I am concerned, music is to be played to an audience, otherwise there's no point. But there are those who record and never play live and others who only play at home for there own interest. There is no right or wrong, all methods and reasons are good.

Steve.

A creative outlet that is completely different to the rest of my life.

For my enjoyment.
My dad used to do a bit and I liked what he did. So I got into it, eventually.

To echo Steve Smith and Ingrid, because I can and because I want to. Can't draw and while I'm quite good at painting, my limit is walls and doors - pictures are unrecognizable!

I think the answer is in your question, Adam.

People, who have no aim of going pro, do photography because it is a hobby, ie 'an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure'.

Dave

Back