Why would anyone want to kill a Black Rhino

Edit My Images
No
and pay £235,000 to do so
and deprive many others from seeing it ... etc.,
he could take a marvellous wildlife film for that money
he could set up a game reserve and see the Rhino close up

IMHO he is not a "hunter" he is a killer - he is not going to eat the animal

it is just killing for killings sake ......... what does he gain out of it?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32089948

pathetic he has even said "Corey Knowlton said he would target a rhino endangering the rest of the herd" ... how does he know he is from bloody Texas!!

are we sure that he does not want to sell the horns to the bloody Chinese .. more valuable per ounce that gold

Last edited:
I'm OK with this providing he uses a spear not a rifle.

I don't have a problem with this at all IF a dangerous bull is selected. A bit like culling Red Deer up here, sometimes has to be done for the better good of the herd.

The bidding process is a bit crass but I'd expect nothing better from the yanks to be honest.

I agree with Bill there's no excuse Rhinos are critically endangered FFS
If it was endangering the other rhinos they just have to move it to another area

There's a lot of people trying to save these rhinos they are reintroducing them into Zambia for example

I don't have a problem with this at all IF a dangerous bull is selected. A bit like culling Red Deer up here, sometimes has to be done for the better good of the herd.

The bidding process is a bit crass but I'd expect nothing better from the yanks to be honest.

I agree with you that deer and similar animals need to be culled but Rhinos are to rare to do this they just have to move it to another area
But I guess a rich yank wouldn't want to pay for that

Maybe killing the "dangerous Bull" was thought up afterwards .......... as was the statement that it will benefit wildlife preservation ....... none of the money raised or spent will go in that direction, apparently it is going to the Namibian Government ....... so we all know were that will end up!!

If and it's a big IF any Rhinos need "culling" leave it to the Rangers and wildlife experts

Rhinos are still being poached in Africa and I think that one a day is being killed just for their horns .. there are not many Black Rhinos left, maybe 1,500 to 3,000, (I think that there were 70,000 50 years ago)...... and at this rate there will soon be none ..... even on game reserves

The poachers camp out for weeks in the bush, (on nature reserves as well) ..... shoot the Rhino with AK47's and then remove their horns with a small chain saw ........ the Chinese pay more for Rhino horn that gold ...... Game Reserves are now tranquillising their Rhinos, trimming their horns right down and injecting them with die or some other substance to make them commercial unattractive to the Chinese market

There is a tremendous effort being put into saving Rhinos and other animals ........ how any country, person or Government can condone such commercial activity beats me as it benefits no-one and certainly not the local people or wildlife associations.

It just needs to be stopped, not promoted...... as lots of other similar stuff does ..........If the poaching continues, estimates by rhinosurvival.org say the rhino will be extinct by 2025.

As far as hunting is concerned it is not as though it is difficult to shoot a Rhino in the situation that this Texan will be in ....... I have been very close to a Rhino, OK it may be dangerous but not when you are hiding behind a Land Cruiser with two Rangers who have bloody great guns at the ready to scare the animals away .......... they will leave you alone as long as you leave them alone

(I am not comparing a Rhino with a deer ....... or many of Africa's "venision" which is farmed and in plenty supply in nature .... such meat is as common in the supermarkets and restaurants as beef)

Last edited:
most right thinking people will never be able to fathom out why anyone would want to kill this magnificent creature.

saw this article this morning

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32151983

It is a difficult argument - but in Mozambique hunting is still a free for all with America hunters typically paying US$100,000+ a week to hunt "big" game.

I spend time each year in S Africa and have spoken to a few young S African "guides" who work in Mozambique ..... and they were quite happy to explain what happens

http://www.africanskyhunting.co.za/trophies/elephant-hunting.html

they put up this video

and then say "come and kill them"

still killing Elephants and the Chinese are still smuggling ivory out the the country quiet openly

Last edited:
Trophys, remember the hunting lodge image from the Taylor Wessing portrait prize

Back