wide angle beginner advice !!!

Name
david
Edit My Images
No
Hello all, bit of advice needed please for a beginner. i have a sony a200 with standard 18-70mm and a 75-300mm zoom, i am wanting a wide angle lens and the minolta af 28mm which is compatible with my camera is one in my price range, now my question is, how is 28mm wide angle wider than the 18mm on my standard 18-70, or is it not.

Assuming the Minolta is a 35mm lens, I may be wrong, but I think that the Sony has a crop factor of 1.5 and so they would be pretty much the same (i.e. 1.5 x 18 = 27mm full frame equivalent)

Edited, see the post below. I was wrong, I forget to multiply 28 by 1.5 and so the 28mm is not as wide.

Last edited:
It's not wider. Smaller the number, wider the lens. The 28 is almost exactly half-way between the 18 and 70 range of your 18-70 zoom.

Your Sony sensor is cropped 1.5 compared to a full frame 35mm camera, same as my Pentax's. The 18 end of your zoom is wide-ish on this crop factor, and much wider than the 28 would be.

The issue for us 'cropped' types is Field of View. All references to lenses is in relation to full frame 35mm.

The 28 was designed for full frame, i.e. 1.0 in crop speak :) .When we put a FF lens on our cameras the equivalent FoV is Xmm x the crop factor, so for us the 28 would be equivalent to 42 on FF, which is not wide!

I find 15 or so about right for landscapes and architecture, but a lot depends on why you want a wide angle lens?

Last edited:
thanks for replys guys, i was just wanting a wide angle for landscapes when up on the fells walking, so basically i would have to come below the 18 end of the 18-70mm that i already have. could anyone recommend a wide anlgle for a sony a200 or one that is compatible with it,

I can second the recommendation for the Sigma 10-20, for the price point its really great and fun lens and an excellent way to start exploring ultra wide angle photography

Back