Wide Angle lens...is there a wider one?

Edit My Images
No
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm considering buying a wider angle lens for my Nikon D70. I have the kit lenses at the moment, an 18-70mm.

I've had a look at a Sigma lens, 12-24mm.. which is for both 35mm and digital... but am I correct in assuming that as my camera has a 1.5x multiplier factor, this lens would be the same as my kit lens?

IanC_UK said:
Partially, actually your kit lens, with the crop factor taken into account is equivalent to 27mm field of view at its shortist !

the 12 would be 18mm

HTH

..we did lenses last week on our night course, the crop factor has my head spinning alittle :shock:

If I want a wider lens that my kit lens what do you think I should look for?

The 12-24 would be shorter than your kit lens, all you have to remember is that the physical size of the lens doesnt change, just the field of view of the sensor.

So in reality the 12-24 is still shorter than the kit lens as they are both subject to the 1.5* crop factor.

12 - 24 = 18 - 36
18 - 70 = 27 - 105

IanC_UK said:
The 12-24 would be shorter than your kit lens, all you have to remember is that the physical size of the lens doesnt change, just the field of view of the sensor.

So in reality the 12-24 is still shorter than the kit lens as they are both subject to the 1.5* crop factor.

12 - 24 = 18 - 36
18 - 70 = 27 - 105

..thanks Ian, that clears it up for me a little :thumb:

Nikon do a 12-24mm lens, but it costs an uberfortune, I think I will stick with my kit lens for the moment, it certainly has performed well so far.

DavidUK said:
..thanks Ian, that clears it up for me a little :thumb:

Nikon do a 12-24mm lens, but it costs an uberfortune, I think I will stick with my kit lens for the moment, it certainly has performed well so far.

I think all Nikon lenses cost an uberfortune dont they ? I thought Canon L glass was steep but Nikons high end prices scare the living daylights out of me ! lol

Just remember any lens you put on the camera will become 1.5 times its focal length and you shouldnt go wrong ;)

IanC_UK said:
I think all Nikon lenses cost an uberfortune dont they ? I thought Canon L glass was steep but Nikons high end prices scare the living daylights out of me ! lol

Just remember any lens you put on the camera will become 1.5 times its focal length and you shouldnt go wrong ;)

This was the one I looked at ;

http://www.europe-nikon.com/details.aspx?countryid=20&languageid=22&prodId=400&catId=117

..does that count for lenses that are badged as being for digital? all the different types are mind boggling :shock:

IanC_UK said:
Very important bit in the stats :)

1. 12-24mm ultra-wide angle G type zoom lens equivalent to 18-36mm in 135 format

..and the relevance of that is?

(forgive my ultra-ignorance :icon_eek: )

IanC_UK said:
Whether its for digital or not, it still has to abide by the crop factor of the sensor ! :)

Im not quite sure what they are saying this "for digital" thing makes !

..ah I see!

I downloaded the Sigma Brochure a few days ago, there were so many lenses in there ! very confusing. I have the kit lens on my D70 and an additional G type lens, a 70-300mm that came with my F75.. it's very much a budget lens but I used it recently and the results were pleasing.

I thought I was doing quite well till two guys on my course, both 20D owners, whipped out 400mm lenses that put mine to shame! must have cost them a fortune :D

Usually say for xxx sensor along with the for digital reference on that sort of thing.

I've been looking at wide lenses for Canon and many are for smaller sensors only - ef-s or whatever the other makers call theirs. The lens only makes an image big enough for the smaller sensor so if you fit it to a full frame camera it vignettes - assuming you can fit it as many of them project out the back far enough to hit the mirror in a full frame camera.

I'm thinking about the tokina 12-24 as that can go on a full frame camera even if it does vignette at its widest.

Nikon DX lenses are for digital sensors only. As RobertP says, they are the equivalent to the Canon EF-S lenses in this respect.

As for a wide angle lens, there are quite a few to chose from:

Sigma 10-20mm
Sigma 12-24mm
Tamron 11-18mm
Nikon 12-24mm (v. expensive as you say)
Tokina 12-24mm

The ones I would look at myself, are the Sigma 10-20 and The Tokina 12-24.

DavidUK said:
I thought I was doing quite well till two guys on my course, both 20D owners, whipped out 400mm lenses that put mine to shame! must have cost them a fortune :D

Well that depends which 400mm lens they have

100-400L IS = Not that expensive
400mm F2.8 = Credit Card Expensive :(

:)

fingerz said:
What's the benefit of the DX/EF-S lenses being able to protrude further back? I've not had that explained to me properly. Does it allow greater DOF or something?

It will give more DOF but the real reason for these lenses is that they're designed purely for digital sensors with a crop factor. The fact that they protrude further into the camera body means they can cast a wider FOV on the sensor than a normal lens, which is a particular advantage at the wide angle end. The crop factor still has to be taken into account but you get a wider FOV recorded on the sensor.

You can only fit an EF-S lens on a 300D, 350D or 20D. If you fitted one on a 1:1 sensor camera, or other non-compatible body (you can't anyway, because the mount is peculiar to those three camera bodies) the back of the lens would foul the reflex mirror.

SDK^ said:
Well that depends which 400mm lens they have

100-400L IS = Not that expensive
400mm F2.8 = Credit Card Expensive :(

:)

I disagree entirely. Spending £1000 on a lens as a hobby is not "Not that expensive" For the average amateur photographer it is very expensive and for most it is way beyond their budget. It is a popular lens but it is not that affordable for the average hobbyist.

On the other hand everything is relevant and as a comparison to the 400mm F2.8 I would agree it is substantially less.

Suggest that Steve write to Canon etc to advise that as the owner/co-owner/partner of a major camera review site [advertiser's puff etc], could they please send shed loads of lenses for testing and review for distribution around the site's old pros with the potential for purchase etc blah de blah.

Unfortunately Steve has too many other things going on that are more important at the moment, plus I don't regard this site as being anything like a major camera review site currently.

Needless to say the future will hopefully be a different matter ;)

Joe T said:
Nikon DX lenses are for digital sensors only. As RobertP says, they are the equivalent to the Canon EF-S lenses in this respect.

As for a wide angle lens, there are quite a few to chose from:

Sigma 10-20mm
Sigma 12-24mm
Tamron 11-18mm
Nikon 12-24mm (v. expensive as you say)
Tokina 12-24mm

The ones I would look at myself, are the Sigma 10-20 and The Tokina 12-24.

..thanks for that :)

The 10-20mm sounds good, any idea how many notes I will relieve me of!

Prices from onestop

Sigma 10-20mm £299
Tamron 11-18mm £309
Nikon 12-24mm £576
Tokina 12-24mm £300

DavidUK , did you end up buying one in the end ?

Anybody seen a decent comparison test of these lenses together, as I'm struggling to find anything on the net ?. Have looked at example shots on PBASE, but quality of photographer is confusing the issue between shots.

I'm happy to buy the Nikon at that price if there is a noticeable difference in quality from the rest.

I have the 12-24mm Nikon lens and it is infinitely better than the kit lens in terms of image quality.

It is also MUCH wider..

evilowl said:
Also try the Sigma 12-24, I rate mine highly as do many other owners

Christ, don't make the decision harder for me ;)

Typically I find tests of Sigma 10-20mm & Nikon 12-24mm on Ephoto with identical comparision shots......but no Tokina :( :banghead: . Now if there was only one site to compare all lenses at ;)

Noticed there is a s/h Nikon on for £400 with less than 1 hr to go on EBAY...only problem is seller has (4) feedback, with several no longer registered :suspect1: . Option to meet in London, but bit far for me.

Nikon used to make a 6mm fish-eye but you had to order it specially as hardly anyone ever had it in stock. I use a 14mm and it seems OK for the few times I use it, though as it's a Sigma I do get flare sometimes which I didn't when using the 14mm Nikkor that I used to have issued to me.

Cheers Rob.....struggling to find reviews that can show a big difference between Nikon & Tokina at the mo.....although clear that Nikon has better quality control so less likely to get a dodgy lens

Interesting link below of diff in wide angle view of photo according to Focal length of lens :-

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images/upload/76_w050124fovcomparison2wv (Medium).jpg

Now that extra bit from 12 -> 10mm would be nice to have, but too risky from what I read with Sigma QC on lenses...especially if ordering from HK.

Saying that only £35 more from Jessops than onestop for Sigma.....can't find Tokina at Jessops, but the Nikon is an extra £323 than onestop !!! Looking long term I expect less depreciation on Nikon if bought from HK with that initial saving ?

Don't think in terms of depreciation. Camera bodies come and go, but a good lens is for keeps unless you change marques, whereas a cheap lens is always a stepping stone to better glass in the long run. Trust me, I've bought cheap in the past and regretted it a few months later - why-oh-why didn't I spend the extra cash etc etc?

Another thing to bear in mind is that the Nikon is constant F4 across the entire zoom range and has an AF-S motor.

I'm not sure whether the others mentioned are HSM (or equivalent Tokina technology) and I think they have variable apertures?

These factors may, or may not, be important to you..

Unbelievably after all this searching the wen for reviews on the lenses, I was scanning my Digital Photo Mag from Nov 05 & it had a group test on them all :doh: :whistle2:

Anyway end results were as follows :-

WideAngleTestresults.jpg

Gold went to the Sigma 10-20mm & Silver to the Canon 10-22mm

From the example photographs I really could see hardly any difference between the Nikon, Canon, Sigma (10-20) & Tokina, so feel it came down to price as final decider.

Then I go to photozone.de for user reviews of some of the lenses & it's different again :suspect1: :-
WideAnglecomparison.jpg

...although I will take this with pinch of salt.

This is harder than deciding on a new car !!! ;)

Well after reading Mag review I was set on the Sigma, as the extra 2mm equates to extra 10 degree of view......but then reading 2nd table :dizzy: . Nikon is out of the picture now, as for me the difference in price could go towards a nice macro lens :) Now if only Jessops had Tokina in at a decent price, I could try the Sigma & if not happy exchange for Tokina. Only prob is Tokina is only a competitive price from onestop...............why is everything in life so complicated ;)

Anyway off to make sense of this technical review of the 2 lenses :-

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/tokina_1224_4/index.htm

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_1020_456/index.htm

DJW said:
...although I will take this with pinch of salt.

Sigma probably didn't buy any advertising space that month ;)

As for the reviews, I defy any 10mm lens to produce distortion free images.

Back