Wide Angle lens...is there a wider one?

Steep said:
As for the reviews, I defy any 10mm lens to produce distortion free images.
nail / head

Even my 12-24 distorts visibily at 12mm but as long as you accept it for what it is then you learn to work with it and still produce nice pics.

For me I have found the definitive test , from the Nikonians site itself here. Still useful for Canoners ;)

From results I have decided the following, for my requirements

- Nikon has the best optical lens performance
- Sigma is close 2nd in Optical Performance, but has extra 10 degree view.

If both lenses were 12-24mm, putting aside the cost difference I would go for the Nikkor. But for me I want WIDE angle & that extra 10 degrees has made the difference.

Off to Jessops for me next week :D

DJW don't rush, Jessops are out of stock till after christmas.

Steep said:
DJW don't rush, Jessops are out of stock till after christmas.
:doh: :banghead: :hissyfit: :dizzy:
megatantrum.gif

I'll of changed my mind again by then ;)

UPDATE - Lens in stock online, with free next day delivery....so I bought it :)

Ah of course, you have a Nikon, the Canon version is still out of stock :(

When they come back in I might pop down to my local branch and see if they can do a bit of price matching with camerabox or karlu photographic.

IIRC it seems that Jessops no longer do price match :suspect1:

Dont want to throw a spanner in the works of this thread....

but Nikon actualy make a new DX ED 10.5mm F2.8 ' fisheye ' lens

this would almost negate the extra field of view the sigma offers??

and jessops are quoting £599 for it

MyPix:ponders:

Joe T said:
So you went for the sigma 10-20?

Yep....extra 10 degrees was final breaker.

MyPix.... Not changing my mind now.....head hurts from all the research ;)

DJW said:
Yep....extra 10 degrees was final breaker.

MyPix.... Not changing my mind now.....head hurts from all the research ;)

cool,
i know what it feels like ....i'm trying to decide on a flash gun atm

how much u get it for in the end Dave?

MyPix:)

ps.....we shall have to get together and try out ur new lens, as i'm only down the road in Gloucester, lol:D

£335 incl P&P. Could have saved £35 with Onestop, but had slight concerns of Sigma quality control.....so at least I can pop back to local Jessops if probelsm, rather than HK ;)

I'm up for a shoot matey in Cheltenham, Gloucester area. Have a think of shoot area & we can meet for a pint & pie 1st in local pub. Always good to share photo knowledge....& good taste in Camera ;) . Moving to Cheltenham area soon (have bougt house which I am renting out at the mo), so was going to investigate local Camera clubs. Have you tried any around the area ?

ive just gone for the same djw, my internet connection has been down for 2 weeks now :( (damn ntl) so i couldnt order from onestop, but my local shop had one in stock and gave it to me for £330 :) only had it 2 days, but will post some images next week. it seems a little soft towards the edge on some shots, but then i guess that's to be expected.

only thing is that my onbvorad flash doesnt clear the lens, ah well have to wait for the sb-600 from santa ;)

Good on ya. Re softness near edges the Sigma had some of the sharpest results of the bunch, although they suggest f/8 for best results on all the lenses. Uderstood that wide open (10mm) you can't compare to "normal" focal length lenses for edge to edge sharpness.

Steep said:
I've found it for £319.99 with free delivery from 1stCameras in Newcastle.

http://www.1stcameras.com/product.asp?code=180691

I'm tempted...

Are you near to them & do they have a shop ? Only reason being if you get a duff one, you would want to return & view new one before accepting. This was the reason I went for Jessops......the cost of P&P for returns would have negated savings elsewhere.
If I had chosen Nikon I would have no qualms over quality control & would have ordered from HK.

Well it arrived yesterday afternoon so only had chance to fire off a few test shots. First thoughts were, everthing is now so small in the view finder ;) Takes a while to get used to this level of wide angle. Will defintely be retaking all shots of interior of house (for sale) as rooms look a lot bigger now :whistle2: (I'm sure Estate agents were done for using ultra wide angle shots ?)

DJW, yes they have a shop but no it's not near me. I have no problem with posting it back either to them or Sigma if needed though.

I'm sitting here with filters and holder waiting for it to arrive, tapping foot... :)

Back