Wide angle zoom

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm seriously considering buying a wide angle zoom soon and wanted to canvas your opinions on the following lenses:

Tokina 12-24
Sigma 10-20

I would be grateful if any users could give me their opinions and other information that I might find useful. I'm currently using a D70 body but may upgrade to a D200 later in the year.

Thanks,

Colin.

I own the Sigma 10-20 and love it. Got mine from fotoSENSE at christmas time.

yep, sigma 10-20mm here as well.

Sharp and clear. Only drawback is the 77mm filter thread. Have you seen the prices of decent 77mm polarisers?

but the sigma has less chromatic abberation, swings and roundabouts i guess but you cant make up for the extra 2mm the sigma gives you, it counts for more than you'd think imo.

i'd be happy with either on a side note, despite owning the sigma ;)

DJW said:
Buy it from Jessops online with discount code SAVE-1010 for £270 :)

Comparisons were discussed on wide angle lenses here :- http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3597

Thats what I did - ordered early hours of Wednesday, and recieved it Thursday (paid approx £6 for next working day del.).

Initial impressions are that its built well and gives good colour, sharpness seems good, but to be honest I plan to give it a proper run this weekend if the weathers good and I can get out;)

Did consider Tokina but to be honest most of the reviews either rated the Sigma better or atleast equal to most of the others at a more favourable price - especially with the saving from Jessops.
(y)

The Tokina is meant to be sharper but if I had 12mm and I was out taking photos and it wasn't wide enough, I'd kick myself for not getting a wider lens. I wanted as wide as possible so I got the Sigma 10-20. For gigs its wide, but I need wider sometimes due to being stuck in a corner by the crowd.

Well after much deliberation, taking into account some goods opinions here and playing with some wide lenses in Jessops over the weekend I caved into temptation and bought the Sigma today! The manager was great, he matched the online price and was very helpful to gain the sale.

I've not given it a good outing yet but first impression is WOW, wide isn't it? lol, I've bought some nice glass this past year but untill now not had anything wider than 18mm. I so wish I had bought one sooner but I'm an old fart when buying lenses and tend to read about them for a long time before I buy, lol.

Thanks for the useful debate in this thread, I know it's personal taste and you have to try before you buy but getting feedback from others always helps.

One small problem though, the wife doesn't know yet. :help:

I will just blame you lot, you all told me to get one!! :D

I just hope the fine weather down here hangs around for a while as there is some places I can't wait to go and use it.

Oh and one more thing, as someone else said HOW BLOOMING MUCH FOR A 77mm CIRCULAR POLARISING FILTER???!!!! :eek: :eek:

Sorry for a bit of a waffle post but very chuffed as I've been contemplating what to get for ages and very happy with my choice in the end.

You think a polarizer is bad? The Hoya R72 IR filter in the UK is £170ish! I got mine from HK for £80.

Just a heads up for anyone who is interested in the Sigma and hasnt seen this.

Managed to find Petemc's post that made me orginally want the Sigma - if anyone needs an excuse to get it, the pics in this link would be a good one:

Linky

Some amazing shots in there for anyone interested (credit to Petemc) (y)

Ta :) My Sigma 10-20 cost £330 and has won me 2 calendar competitions earning me over £500 :D Best lens I ever bought.

Pete, re filters, get yourself a Cokin Pro holder for the 10-20, filters for that are much cheaper than threaded ones. Mine is actually a kood holder and originally would take up to 3 filters stacked, I cut it down to hold 1 because it was vignetting the image.

/edit in fact I just bought an IR filter this minute for £21.85 on eBay!

Gemok said:
bah jessops don't do the 10 20 for the minolta mount :(

I guess that's always the danger of a less common mount. :( Not saying anything bad about it of course!

SammyC said:
I guess that's always the danger of a less common mount. :( Not saying anything bad about it of course!

True but mostly because its not been out as long for the less common mounts they'll have it eventually. Saves me spending my money for now at least

Back