widescreen monitors

Edit My Images
Yes
i'm in the market for a 20 inch widescreen monitor and i need a little help please. i want to be able to play games as well as edit my pics but with more emphasis on the photos and i want a nice simple stylish one.

shortlist:
apple 20 inch cinema - waaaay overpriced :(
NEC £404 here - very nice looking and well reviewed but still expensive
acer £327 here - not a bad looker, appears to be well specced
viewsonic £293 here - good reviews. not so nice looking, ugly stand

i'm not that keen on the look of the benq or belinia displays around the same price, but any suggestions welcome.

thanks

Dell 2005 FP - same panel as the Apple 20" cinema display but half the price

Have one at home and its very good indeed

Bear in mind Noah that you will be looking at the screen not the monitor 99.99999% of the time so the image quality should be top on your list not the overall look of the thing.

Steep's right.

BUT, the profile and look of the monitor is important too (to me anyway).

I bought the Digimate 1916 and while it's a cracking performer, high contrast ratio, sharp as a tack..the border is ugly and not as sleek as many other monitors and it does annoy me frequently :p

PS I wouldn't bother with a widescreen 1680x1050 display for gaming. Go for a decent 20" like the Dell 2007FP with native res of 1600x1200 and you'll be much better off IMHO

thanks for the points there chaps.

evilowl - i like the dell and have read good reviews but there are so many complaints of backlight bleed it make me unsure?

stepheno and ven - thanks but i want the 20 inch due to the higher resolution not so much the size :)

steep - i agree mate, i'd not settle for shiney tat (read majority of sony products) ;) thats why i was wondeing what you guys thought of the ones you own :)

good point about the 4:3 screens. i know they make more sense it's just the 16:10 is soo much sexier and would be nice for movies.

found another one. samsung 205BW for £273, cheap and nice looking. a web designer friend has a 19 inch version and seems to be pleased with it, but i think it has 16.2m colours not 16.7m.

my existing iiyama 17 inch monitor is a 16.2m colour panal and performs very nicely indeed, but people swear by inisiting that you need a 16.7m one for accurate colours in photos. anyone got an opinion on this one?

Back