Wife - First time with flash

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Following my recent thread asking for advice regarding off-camera flash, I bought some bits and pieces and had a play last night. There are lots of things I did wrong as I've never used a flash before and I'm not overly impressed with this shot, it was more meant to be a chance to have a play with the equipment. My wife was very patient with me!

One thing is I had to use the 5-in-1 reflector as my background, I took some other shots using the reflector to get some fill light on the dark side of her face but the background is messy. You'll notice the shoulders are fading too, I ended up taking this into photoshop to add the black background as the makeshift background reflector was very creased. Nor do I know how to pose people correctly, still the most to learn in this area I think, we tried a few at different angles but they weren't quite working (more I wasn't flattering her with the angles) hence going for this straight ahead low key type look.

So in summary, a lot to learn, but fairly happy for a very first attempt with limited equipment (plenty added to the shopping list!)

C&C welcome.

Tabs Portrait Session A
by Craigus89, on Flickr

OK, how did you want this to look? Did it work as intended, or was this a 'lucky outcome' from your POV?

Well it did work as I intended to an extent. I knew with one light and not much knowledge of how it works that I would be a bit limited, so decided to try and get a rembrandt type of lighting, but I think the shadows have been pulled out a bit much for that?

Perhaps - the eye/cheek that was in shadow doesn't look quite right to me because of the shadow from her nose. I'm no expert, but might have turned her a little more towards the light source to reduce the nose shadow.

good start keep practising. another tip is to flash her in the eyes not full on but just to get her pupils a little smaller always makes the eyes look better imho cheers Mike also be aware you have taken a portrait in landscape orientation

Last edited:
also be aware you have taken a portrait in landscape orientation
I thought that is the fashion now because it is soooo difficult to turn the camera 90 degrees.

To the OP, not that I have ever done any studio photography, perhaps using a silver or gold reflecting screen on the right hand side would have produced enough reflection to solve the problem of the face disappearing in the dark background. Maybe ...

Creased background showing, for a black background increase the distance from subject to the background and try to have a darkened room to decrease the light on the background. For a white background, you light the background, I tend to use a source on both sides (cheap flashguns on manual wireless triggered) then it's about the light on the subject. It is worth using modifiers to often the light, there have been several suggestions on here. I have a godox pop up softbox and a westcott apollo unbrella softbox that were recommended and both work well with a flash.

It's all about the practice and trying different things. This was a similar setup to what you tried, flash in the godox softbox, pop up black background. My dog won't pose, actually will turn away from the camera, but actually this pose from her went well.
159465857.jpg

She was about 4-5 feet from the background, in the lounge, flash high to the right (see catchlight)

Last edited:
Hi Craig.

No expert here. That said I like the above image and would have been pleased with that. You seem to achieved what you was after here and know the answers to some of the things you could have done differently.

Gaz

As your main light source, this is promising.
As you will add to it, you may get better shots
that you will still don't like because your effort
will be on a subject that should directed to ex-
press… include some story telling.

I know you'll get to it! :cool:

Ah, another suffering, flashed wife! It's a good start Craig. Alway's tricky with a speed light to begin with as you haven't a modelling light to help you observe how the light falls. Best advice is to buy a basic studio head and soft box which would really help you. As for posing, that's a whole different conversation. Plenty on the net, try Sue Bryce & Peter Hurley. Square on as here, is almost never very flattering.

Back