Wife's lawn project

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
Started it last week as Sue "er indoors who must me obeyed" is finding it a bit too much, so she decided I "yes me" should do something about it. So first of all was to get rid of a lot of earth as there was a big hump right in the middle.
So I get to work and rouighly level off the area

K2e8OLL.jpg

Next was to put a string across where the edge was going to be on on side as shown in the photo above.

Midday today the rolls of grass turned up having previously ordered what I though was the right amount
So I get to work and about 2 and a half hours later

WiNrulG.jpg

Imatation stone edgeing done last week

Pxbc9B4.jpg

Left the boss to play with the water sprinkler

Job done with 4 rolls of turf left over. Better that than one less than needed

Decided this evening to sort out a couple of places where the extra can go. Just finish one bit but too dark for photos at the moment but now only a couple of rolls left

At the moment I am a knackered 75 year old

Last edited:
Last bit with one roll of turf left over. It was all dead here after Sue used moss killer on it. hopefully the grass will grow again in the other patches

4V3JGWD.jpg

Someone just had to make a useless comment on something that was not the main point of the photo. Oh well suppose it takes all sorts. Must be horrible to be technically perfect.

Thank you. If you saw what it was like before I started shifting a load of earth, before even levelling off,,the final result I was quite pleased with. Only problem was my lower back ached like hell afterwards.
Found a couple of patches elsewhere that used up the last roll of turf this morning.

Your wife deserves a rest after all that.
Well done her for keeping you busy!

Can't see the lump over her...

There is something immensely satisfying about laying turf. Instant lawn (y)

I can empathize with your toils. After mowing the lawn this afternoon I was presented with a box of grass seed to treat the areas that the dog has killed off in what was a beautiful new lawn just a year ago. And yes, my back is hurting too :(

Guess I will see if it's worked in a few weeks :)

I can empathize with your toils. After mowing the lawn this afternoon I was presented with a box of grass seed to treat the areas that the dog has killed off in what was a beautiful new lawn just a year ago. And yes, my back is hurting too :(

Guess I will see if it's worked in a few weeks :)
Let me know how you get on.
I need to do the same...:)

Will do. As soon as there are some signs of new grass I'll let you know.

If this fails then we will have to returf those areas or maybe replace the whole lot with artificial grass.

Or do what I have done (more accurately had done by someone else) perhaps, Antique limestone paving all over and a small border plus lots (and I mean lots!) of pots (on a watering system).
But, my, sorry, our garden is only 22ft (7m) wide x 30ft (9m) deep, so a Town Garden, as I live in the town centre, that requires very little maintenance apart from renewing/moving plants in the border and fence/shed painting, oh and pressure washing twice a year (all day job).
I have had bigger gardens in the past, which I loved and would have preferred a bigger one this time, sadly I have what I have, so no greenhouse or garage, decent sized shed though, big enough to be a man cave now I have tidied it (and that took 4 days).

Last edited:
When we moved into the bungalow three years ago the back garden (about the same size at MatBin's) was a mess. Mostly grass with stepping stones style pathways, a Cherry tree and several totallt unruly shrubs in raised beds across the grass and in one corner.

Last year one of our friends, who is a landscape gardener, came in and removed everything except the Cherry, levelled out the ground and laid a new lawn then created a new patio for us. We managed to keep the dog off the grass for the best part of 2 months but she eventually managed to get on there and do what she thinks grass is for. The result is several patches of very dead grass ... and a very sternly spoken to dog!

We moved into this place at the end of last summer. We've never really been keen gardeners, but I do like a nice lawn. Unfortunately lawns both front & back have more dandelions than grass, plus things like bluebells & forget-me-nots are sprouting up where they have seeded from the borders.

In the rear I've decided to keep one section long to help the wildlife, which runs the width of the garden, behind a couple of trees. I plane to dig out a pond in one corner, but I'm currently in negotiations about the size. The bank manager says "3ft x 3ft will be fine", where I was thinking more of 3m x 2m....

Both lawns will need to be dug up & relaid next year, I can't see me doing it on my own (I also have a back problem) and that will give me time to sort the pond first....

Back