Wild Boar in the Forest of Dean?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm off to Bristol this weekend, and I've spent some time in the Forest of Dean (we were house hunting) so sort of know the area, but I'd love to get to see some wild boar.

Can anybody suggest an area where I may be able to find them? I have seen a car park mentioned, but not sure which one.

Thanks in advance...

Anywhere between Cinderford & Coleford but possibly best not to openly publish precise locations. :)

Anywhere between Cinderford & Coleford but possibly best not to openly publish precise locations. :)

Understand that. We have been looking at moving to Bream, but lost our buyer and the place was sold :confused: Would have given me the chance to investigate myself properly.....

Can I ask that you do a lot of fieldcraft research especially around boar behaviour - I have spent a lot of time photographing these beautiful animals and they can be very unpredictable. Cant emphasise this enough :)

Well the option of "on the ground" research is difficult, because I currently live in London. I do however spend a lot of my time shooting wildlife in Bucks & Berks, so my fieldcraft in itself is not too bad. I will, as you suggest, do some reading, but to be honest, just seeing them will be a joy, even if I don't get the camera out.

The most important is warning signs in behaviour, whilst I love these animals I wouldnt want to be attacked by one by any means
Well the option of "on the ground" research is difficult, because I currently live in London. I do however spend a lot of my time shooting wildlife in Bucks & Berks, so my fieldcraft in itself is not too bad. I will, as you suggest, do some reading, but to be honest, just seeing them will be a joy, even if I don't get the camera out.

Steve if you are still there I've just seen this, too late probably......... driving carefully at dawn might give you best chance if a sighting . I think Rogers given you as good a chance as any non local could location wise. I hear Becca I too adore those piggies but what happens around them if they get fed messes with me ,on a huge level. A full scale charge is some sight it's astonishing how fast an old lady can cover the ground . As Becca says that behaviour was there the boar clearly told the lady she didn't like her dog thank god for a deer fence. I'll stop mate I'll start screaming

You've as good a chance by slowly driving with a damn good spotter on the passenger seat Steve early morns best less traffic less folks more pigs All the luck if this isn't tooooooo late boar kidlets and blue bells is something i've long wanted,but mum boar is some force if she's fed up. I see why the warnings are above

Stunning animals I see them oft then not for months alot of luck in this one Steve if you can't get the hours in. But yeah stunning just to see something like this in our woods not just a photo

Thing is they ( us man)) are now starting to need the lynx.................. man isn't doing terribly well with this one !!

stu

Ssooo unpredictable, I’ve stayed at Whitemeade, near Parkend, in my caravan, and you only have to walk out of the gates on site in to the forest, to see the evidence of the previous nights activities. Whilst cycling in that area, off road I have had two close encounters with a sow and her young, but by the time you switch on your camera, they have shot off into the under growth.
I have to say, after being in a farming community and having close encounters with pigs, a wild boar is not something to be taken lightly. They are actually very large in comparison, and being very reclusive, I imagine if you catch them un awards they could be very dangerous. It would certInly involve stalking to get nice images, so I think research is essential, and a large amount of luck/ common sense.

Last edited:
Thanks guys...

Unfortunately the Mrs wasn't feeling great early this morning, so we ended up having a late breakfast at the hotel.

We do get down there regularly though, so I'll be back again soon.

Steve reading this back in the middle of the night,I wouldn't want to paint them as aggressive,they aren't. It's just we as a nation( me too ) haven't largely grown up with big animals capable of defending them selves. We do silly things and occassionally through bad luck get in a position we (collectively) shouldn't be in which causes conflict. They just demand respect tis all, I know you know this,it's just the last few posts could be construed the wrong way,which would be unfair on the boar. They take flight, not fight, unless provoked

Anyway all the luck in the future...... seeing boar in our woods on a misty morn is special...... almost harks of a lost age:)

Steve reading this back in the middle of the night,I wouldn't want to paint them as aggressive,they aren't. It's just we as a nation( me too ) haven't largely grown up with big animals capable of defending them selves. We do silly things and occassionally through bad luck get in a position we (collectively) shouldn't be in which causes conflict.

I give a lot of respect to large animals. A few years ago in Richmond Park I was shooting a magnificent stag who started to walk towards me, and a quick check made me realise that there was another one behind me. I got out of there PDQ !!

Back