Wild flower photography

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Good morning,

Does anyone actively photograph wild/meadow/hedgerow flowers and plants? Just after some info on "How to........."
I have recently downloaded an App on my phone whereby you take a photo and it identifies the flower and it's really got my juices flowing! I didn't realise there were so many wild flowers that I'd never noticed or bothered to look at.

Many thanks & Stay safe.

Simon

It's not as easy as it sounds, wind moving them when your camera is very close is the main problem, also you still need to think about composition
Getting colours just right is important too, I find Bluebells and Foxgloves need to be just the right shade but can be tricky

I'm doing a lot of this at the moment as in my lockdown boredom I'm doing a project on the wild plants around the village. I'm going for good, artistic shots where I can but otherwise they could be considered record shots. I've always photographed flowers in the garden so I did have a bit of a head start in techniques. In the garden I've only ever used natural light and the background that's there. I won't cut flowers at all. You need the right light, the right background and the right wind conditions, all at the same time. Tricky in the garden, it's even trickier among the hedges and verges, however in the wild you'll often find the same plant in many different places, so where one location doesn't work you can usually find another. I use a Sigma 105mm macro on a Canon 800D so I can get in close if I want to but have to 'zoom out' with my feet, which isn't always easy (this morning trying to get an entire yellow iris plant in the frame without falling in the ditch.....). I do the ID the hard way with book and Google as I am almost literally incapable of taking a photo with anything other that a dSLR............ It is very addictive. I'm a country girl and thought I knew my wild plants fairly well, but I've found ones I'd never even heard of.

Simon,i'm not the guys to help with the images,,but might have something else. Can I ask if you are anywhere near the west mids area. I know a fabulous field.They believe it's not ever been sprayed, so a genuine english wildflower meadow extraordinarily rare,it's a gem. It's probably slightly past it's best now,mid may is meant to be peak,but it's simply astounding,to see Mind blowing is possibly not an understatement . It just might be something you would adore seeing

all the luck with it

stu

Back