Critique Window light portrait (mildly NSFW)

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I had the joy of shooting Anita De Bauch a week or so back. We had planned to do an outdoors shoot on a theme, but gale force winds and torrential rain put paid to that idea. So it was plan B, natural light portraits at her home.

The light was pretty poor despite looking bright, I was at an ISO of 800 and shooting deliberately wide open or thereabouts, the above is @ f2.5.

Any and all constructive views are much appreciated.
View attachment 95958

Very nice! I like the mood, the framing, the light and the tones. Not totally sure about cutting in to the left hand and maybe it could do with a bit more space at the bottom, but maybe that would lose some of the intimacy.

Some small things I might have tried to do differently - I'm not saying that I'd have managed or that they'd make a better shot:
  • I'd have tried to get even closer to the wall or tweaked the pose to avoid the nose breaking the cheek and incomplete rear eye.
  • I'd probably have asked her to put the hair behind the shoulder
  • I'd do a little bit more processing to remove minor skin blemishes and stray hairs

Thanks for your feedback Simon, always appreciated :)

The framing is as it came out of the camera so not cropped at all. I love getting close and intimate so something I will have to watch I think.

When we saw the image on review Anita said wow, I said damn ... the nose just cutting the cheek was the reason. We tried several re-shoots, but I still prefer this one, faults and all :) As for her hair, I wanted it where it is, but should have tried it over the shoulder too - next time!

I never know when to stop or how much to do with processing so your feedback there is extremely helpful.

Thank you.

Thanks for your feedback Simon, always appreciated :)

The framing is as it came out of the camera so not cropped at all. I love getting close and intimate so something I will have to watch I think.

When we saw the image on review Anita said wow, I said damn ... the nose just cutting the cheek was the reason. We tried several re-shoots, but I still prefer this one, faults and all :) As for her hair, I wanted it where it is, but should have tried it over the shoulder too - next time!

I never know when to stop or how much to do with processing so your feedback there is extremely helpful.

Thank you.

How much processing... is completely personal. But I reckon that if you're shooting glam pictures of top models then careful processing goes with the territory. There are a couple of marks on the back, upper arm and forehead I'd definitely attend to, anything else is to taste.

Back