Windows and Lamp post - mono or colour?

Of the two I prefer the colour version. I'd probably try cloning the kerb notices out and see how that looked, as I find they distract my eye from the simple geometric shapes.

Of the two I prefer the colour version. I'd probably try cloning the kerb notices out and see how that looked, as I find they distract my eye from the simple geometric shapes.

Agree, the mono is too white for me. I dont dislike the signs though as they are spaced well

Heh, this is why I prefer film for B&W...

To my eyes, the monochrome image looks brighter and I prefer the contrast in the "less bright" colour image. Could it be a case of the process of turning b&w to colour that has caused this? I don't know. The bit of blue parking space delimiters on the road, and the parking space markers are a bit distracting - moreso in the colour version but without knowing your intent it's tricky to pass comment. The slope of the street is also mildly upsetting but as two of my students bought me a spirit level as a joke (on separate occasions), you can probably disregard that.

So I think I'd prefer a better (more contrasty or less bright) black & white version. I also think the lamp post needs moving a few feet to the (camera) right as it's too close to the windows for me. But going back to intent - if the title was "three's a crowd" - that would be the whole point.

I'll shut up now.

Thanks for the comments, very much appreciated.

I'd probably try cloning the kerb notices out and see how that looked, as I find they distract my eye from the simple geometric shapes.

The bit of blue parking space delimiters on the road, and the parking space markers are a bit distracting - moreso in the colour version but without knowing your intent it's tricky to pass comment. The slope of the street is also mildly upsetting but as two of my students bought me a spirit level as a joke (on separate occasions), you can probably disregard that.

I kept the kerb and signs in to ground the image. First attempts focussed on the lamp post & windows, but left them apparently floating - minimal but too much so. For me, including them gave the image a foundation and starting point, and the downward slope of the kerb breaks the otherwise clinical alignment of the top & sides. The signs added to that sense of the base being 'different', even though they're a little jarring.

Agree, the mono is too white for me.

Prefer colour.
Mono might be better if it was more contrasty...

Black and white - its all about shapes and texture of bricks, and color is so so.. - just need to boost contrast and black level a bit further.

Heh, this is why I prefer film for B&W...

To my eyes, the monochrome image looks brighter and I prefer the contrast in the "less bright" colour image. Could it be a case of the process of turning b&w to colour that has caused this? I don't know.

I'd have preferred the mono image even brighter with the bricks near white, but tones were starting to get out of control a little. When first processed into mono the image was just a range of grey tones, and I wanted to simplify things by making the bricks less textured and more uniform, receding into the background to leave the windows and post as key features. Plainly I didn't manage that! I may well have another go, winding contrast up a bit, possibly also giving the post a gentle nudge sideways to the place it *should* have been. ;)

The colour image appeals on a different level, and the yellow naturally separates well from the grey while holding up nicely in a darker tone.

But going back to intent - if the title was "three's a crowd" - that would be the whole point.

Nice title. ;)

Back